+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Wise words about Boris

Quote Originally Posted by AltyPie View Post
    It’s an interesting … what?
    And what’s a “liar of crap”?
    Is reeally crap spelling and grammar now compulsory on the Left or something?
    Or are you all smoking weed together over their in that conspiracy control room?
    I shall have a fishy…
    Looks like we both need to enable spell check.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Looks like we both need to enable spell check.
    ... on a little dishy ...

I wonder what Boris will make of these comments from the Tory candidate who is standing in Ashfield regarding nuisance council tenants:

"These people, who have to live somewhere, let's have them in a tent, in the middle of a field. Six o'clock every morning, let's have them up. Let's have them in the field, picking potatoes or any other seasonal vegetables, back in the tent, cold shower, lights out, six o'clock, same again the next day."

To be fair to Lee Anderson (CON), in the spirit of the season he might just grant them a 4pm finish on Christmas day, with a bowl of gruel and a lukewarm shower thrown in. This is the sort of statement regularly heard from the thick loud bloke in the pub who has had one too many, but is it really what we want to hear from one of the 650 MPs who will run the country?

Because he wants to see Brexit done, for many it probably is.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I wonder what Boris will make of these comments from the Tory candidate who is standing in Ashfield regarding nuisance council tenants:

"These people, who have to live somewhere, let's have them in a tent, in the middle of a field. Six o'clock every morning, let's have them up. Let's have them in the field, picking potatoes or any other seasonal vegetables, back in the tent, cold shower, lights out, six o'clock, same again the next day."

To be fair to Lee Anderson (CON), in the spirit of the season he might just grant them a 4pm finish on Christmas day, with a bowl of gruel and a lukewarm shower thrown in. This is the sort of statement regularly heard from the thick loud bloke in the pub who has had one too many, but is it really what we want to hear from one of the 650 MPs who will run the country?

Because he wants to see Brexit done, for many it probably is.
    Perhaps the more salient question is what will the voters in Ashfield make of the comments. It's fair to say Lee Anderson's words won't win any awards for subtlety, but the electorate in Ashfield might react very differently to, say, the voters of Rushcliffe. Dennis skinner has had his own blunt and inimitable way of communicating over the years, which hasn't always pleased the moderates, but it's never done him any harm in Bolsover. Horses for courses and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Perhaps the more salient question is what will the voters in Ashfield make of the comments. It's fair to say Lee Anderson's words won't win any awards for subtlety, but the electorate in Ashfield might react very differently to, say, the voters of Rushcliffe. Dennis skinner has had his own blunt and inimitable way of communicating over the years, which hasn't always pleased the moderates, but it's never done him any harm in Bolsover. Horses for courses and all that.
    That's why I added the last line, but in any real world his comments would see him removed as a candidate.

However, this is Brexit world, so who knows?

You said the other day that you thought you had tuned into a political satire when John McDonnell announced Labour’s broadband policy. These comments however ‘won’t win any awards for subtlety’.

If you’re going to carry off that ‘I’m above it all, look at the state of them’ unbiased commentator act with any conviction, you’re going to have to be well, more unbiased.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    You said the other day that you thought you had tuned into a political satire when John McDonnell announced Labour’s broadband policy. These comments however ‘won’t win any awards for subtlety’.

If you’re going to carry off that ‘I’m above it all, look at the state of them’ unbiased commentator act with any conviction, you’re going to have to be well, more unbiased.
    Eh? Who said anything about me being unbiased? I'm quite open on here about what my own views are on Brexit and the party I (generally) support and I always have been.

My comment above actually was fairly balanced in that I wasn't arguing for or against Elite Pie's observation or Lee Anderson's comment. I was simply observing that he and many other politicians tend to pitch their message in a way that they think will connect with a particular audience. Lee Anderson's words are not ones I would have chosen, but then again I'm not trying to get myself elected or pitch to a particular audience in Ashfield.

I often disagree with Elite, but judging by his response he understood my point in the spirit it was intended, i.e. as an observation rather than a 'for' or 'against' take on things. I'm not quite sure why it rattled your cage, other than that you just don't like my politics and it shows in pretty much every (non-football) response you make, which is fair enough.

As for John McDonnell, he appears on Radio Four's Today programme quite regularly and is usually quite a good performer as an interviewee, including an appearance he made just this morning. However, I stand by my comment that the other day he sounded unusually rattled because - in my opinion - he was trying to defend a policy he clearly hadn't fully thought through and where the interviewer was giving him a rougher ride than normal. Often Mr McDonnell can make some pretty extraordinary ideas sound at least superficially credible to what is quite a discerning R4 audience and I kind of admire his skill at that, but the other day wasn't his best moment. It did sound far-fetched.
    Last edited by jackal2; 20-11-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Eh? Who said anything about me being unbiased? I'm quite open on here about what my own views are on Brexit and the party I (generally) support and I always have been.

My comment above actually was fairly balanced in that I wasn't arguing for or against Elite Pie's observation or Lee Anderson's comment. I was simply observing that he and many other politicians tend to pitch their message in a way that they think will connect with a particular audience. Lee Anderson's words are not ones I would have chosen, but then again I'm not trying to get myself elected or pitch to a particular audience in Ashfield.

I often disagree with Elite, but judging by his response he understood my point in the spirit it was intended, i.e. as an observation rather than a 'for' or 'against' take on things. I'm not quite sure why it rattled your cage, other than that you just don't like my politics and it shows in pretty much every (non-football) response you make, which is fair enough.

As for John McDonnell, he appears on Radio Four's Today programme quite regularly and is usually quite a good performer as an interviewee, including an appearance he made just this morning. However, I stand by my comment that the other day he sounded unusually rattled because - in my opinion - he was trying to defend a policy he clearly hadn't fully thought through and where the interviewer was giving him a rougher ride than normal. Often Mr McDonnell can make some pretty extraordinary ideas sound at least superficially credible to what is quite a discerning R4 audience and I kind of admire his skill at that, but the other day wasn't his best moment. It did sound far-fetched.
    So do you agree with that candidate’s comments that some people should be put into forced labour camps or not?

My sources tell me that Dennis Skinner is due for a huge awakening this time round in Bolsover. Your time's up, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    My sources tell me that Dennis Skinner is due for a huge awakening this time round in Bolsover. Your time's up, Dennis.
    Why would that be good? He's one of the few MPs that does his job properly.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast