+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New signing Alex Lacey

I have to say that I rate Pierce Bird as a good prospect and cannot understand why he can't seem to get a look in these days.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post
    I have to say that I rate Pierce Bird as a good prospect and cannot understand why he can't seem to get a look in these days.
    I agree, Bird has looked capable whether playing centre back, left back or on the left side of a back three. It looks like this will be a wasted season for him, because the only way he can improve and gain experience is by getting minutes on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Still nothing from Scoop though

He will probably get sent out on loan somewhere in a higher league

In terms of squad strength we've been a centre-half down since Sam Graham got injured, and I think we've seen enough of Damien McCrory playing in that position to know he's better staying at left-back.

On that basis, I've got no problem in principle with adding another body to the ranks, but as others have said, this should not be used as an excuse to push Pierce Bird into oblivion. Pierce didn't look out of place at League Two level, so there's no reason not to trust him in this league. If we let yet another young talent disappear off the radar and out of the club I'll be spitting feathers. I say talent, rather than prospect, because Bird has shown he's worthy of a bertter description than "one for the future".

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    In terms of squad strength we've been a centre-half down since Sam Graham got injured, and I think we've seen enough of Damien McCrory playing in that position to know he's better staying at left-back.

On that basis, I've got no problem in principle with adding another body to the ranks, but as others have said, this should not be used as an excuse to push Pierce Bird into oblivion. Pierce didn't look out of place at League Two level, so there's no reason not to trust him in this league. If we let yet another young talent disappear off the radar and out of the club I'll be spitting feathers. I say talent, rather than prospect, because Bird has shown he's worthy of a bertter description than "one for the future".
    This. Bird is a good prospect and as you say didn't look out of place in the league above. Ardley has done alot of good lately but still think he needs to not just think he can go get someone new in all the time when we have our own players taking a wage who could do the job just as well.

Whether we think this signing is necessary or not, we should definitely give some credit to the Reedtz brothers for financing it. Once again we appear to have a squad that is too big for this level, but on the plus side it doesn't look as unbalanced as the squads we've had over the last few seasons. We are now in the situation that most other NL clubs would really envy, in that we seem to have good quality cover in every position*. Let's hope this pays dividends when injuries and suspensions start to kick in next year. Neal Ardley has been backed to the hilt, I just hope he can repay the support he has been given.

* Sorry Fitz, if I had to be critical it would be our goalkeeping options.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Whether we think this signing is necessary or not, we should definitely give some credit to the Reedtz brothers for financing it. Once again we appear to have a squad that is too big for this level, but on the plus side it doesn't look as unbalanced as the squads we've had over the last few seasons. We are now in the situation that most other NL clubs would really envy, in that we seem to have good quality cover in every position*. Let's hope this pays dividends when injuries and suspensions start to kick in next year. Neal Ardley has been backed to the hilt, I just hope he can repay the support he has been given.

* Sorry Fitz, if I had to be critical it would be our goalkeeping options.

Very fair and balanced comments. I do hope that some of the players who are not getting game time are able to go out on loan in January.

It might just be that we have better players. It's tough for any manager to give youngsters a fair crack, simply because they are expected to get results. A seasoned professional with experience of promotion is clearly a better choice than a relatively untried youngster. I'd like to see Bird go out on loan now. He needs game time. Maybe another club in the NL would happily take him.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

Is Bird not injured though? If he was fully fit I suspect that this signing may not have happened and we would have carried on with the squad at hand. Given Bird is injured and as you say, McCrory amongst others, is a stop gap, it’s only prudent to have an out and out centre half as back up. Especially in a league full of giants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast