+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancestry

Ancestry

As Frank knows, I’ve been considering having my DNA tested to see where my roots lie. I’ve been doing some genealogy through the Ancestry site and by doing a small amount of legwork.

I’ve always seen myself as pure Cumbrian with aspirations of being a Viking, and my research has so far found that my predecessors, or those that I’ve traced at least, are from no further away than southern Scotland to the north, and former Westmoreland to the south. No Irish, or anyone from anywhere to the west or east, and I’ve gone back to the early 1700s.

Anyway, I’ve now ordered a DNA pack and it’s on its way to me. It should take a few weeks to get the results as the sample goes to a clearing centre in Ireland, then to the USA for testing. So, yes Frank, I’ll let you know the results on here however boring or embarrassing they are. We’re all a mix of those who went before so I may be in for some surprises (as you were Frank). This won’t tell me if I’m related to royalty, but it should be able to state if I have any Eskimo in me.

I can’t wait.

There's got to be more than the average percent Scottish in you griff,that wall that you built to keep them out wouldn't be much good with a love sick buc on the other side,I suspect that my results would come back 100% Nottingham as we didnt't even like mingling with that lot in Derbyshire and Leicestershire in the past

I reckon I could be 25% Scottish mate, but where did those Scots come from? I’m expecting a good showing from Northern Europe tbh.

i am i think a hotchpotch -scottish, cornish, belgian and german. I will do that test when i get back to the uk and like griff will post. all very interesting. my daughter has me plus her mams german, lebanon, ecuadorian mix.

Scottish confirmed for Griff - the price of the DNA kit is reduced until November 24

Even today, social mobility isn't great, people mostly stay where they are. In all my years in the west midlands, about 30 35, I met one person from Cambridge, a occupational therapist, in Stoke. There were very few suvverners, I could pick them out instantly the moment they spoke. Which is seriously surprising.

Brum is mostly Brummies, no surprise there, and the Irish. There are a lot of black country folk, my partner is one, and a few welsh. Black country people do not see themselves as Brummies, and are offended by it, rightly so. Black country folk are warm and family orientated, Brummies are out for number one. That's a generalisation of course, there are some not like that, but mostly.....

Stoke is an undiscovered land, Stokies who leave Stoke come back they cant adjust to life outside Stoke. I loved my time in Sheffield a warm friendly place, we considered moving there. They are certainly Viking like there. I suspect your ancestors lived and died in small communitys, with little inter mingling. Then again maybe not. Waves came down from the north and up from the south.

I am as central European as it gets, stretching from Finland to Saudi arabia, whivh isn't surprising considering the constant wars, migrations and invasions from everywhere, and with two central European parents. I will look forward to your results.

Josh.

Has anyone traced their family tree on here,I haven't because I have a very popular (no,not common) surname so I feel that it would be a harder task,when I was a **** I would spend a lot of time with my grandma who was more of a mother to me often spending weeks at her house and I now know what a fantastic opportunity I missed not talking to her about her past and the relatives that she could remember and give me a starting chance,I would love to find some kind of a scandal in the families past

Quote Originally Posted by cayambe View Post
    Scottish confirmed for Griff - the price of the DNA kit is reduced until November 24
    I know, that’s why I did I now ye ken.

Ooh what a giveaway.

Frank is right; on another thread, I forgot to update this when I got my results.

The basic picture is this. I’m a boring c­unt. My ancestors tended to sit tight, to a large extent, and intermarry. I expected 25% Scottish with a Northern European influence. I wasn’t far off.

The outcome was this:

60% Northern England. This doesn’t mean exactly what it says though. Early history roots include parts of Northern France, Wales and Southern England. But by 1700 my ancestors in England were all north of Barrow.

36% Scotland & Ireland. It’s noteworthy that Brittany, Wales and all of Ireland and Scotland are highlighted in my early history demonstrating a strong Gallic influence in my genes. By 1700 My major hot-spots in this (one third) slice of my gene-pool were in Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the central belt of Scotland.

4% Norway. According to Ancestry, Norway includes Iceland, but it certainly shows that invaders from the north interbred with my Scottish ancestors and this has carried down to me. Basically 1 part in 25 of me is Viking.

There you are then, I’m mainly English with significant contributions from other parts of the British Isles and beyond. Anglo-Gallic, shall we say. Told you it was boring. Anyway, I’m now off to find a hat with horns and plunder, rape and pillage my way around the Borders. There’s no footy, the telly is crap so what else am I going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw2 View Post

Brum is mostly Brummies, no surprise there, and the Irish. There are a lot of black country folk, my partner is one, and a few welsh. Black country people do not see themselves as Brummies, and are offended by it, rightly so. Black country folk are warm and family orientated, Brummies are out for number one. That's a generalisation of course, there are some not like that, but mostly.....

Josh.
    Only just spotted this & all I can say is .. spot on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)