+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: "Big Boy"

"Big Boy"

Didn't take this myself but was stood right behind the guy that did. Part of a national tour, the recently renovated "Big Boy" locomotive passed within a mile of the house at Old Spring so had to go take a look didn't I!.

Great turn out, had to be a couple of thousand people there despite the atrocious, for Texas, weather and plenty of young children there as well which is always encouraging for the railway preservation community. The George Bush ceremonial locomotive and funeral car was also part of the train.

Great atmosphere and a good morning topped off with a coffee and a couple of shots of Knob Creek Bourbon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxtur-6b-Lc

Very cool Woody.

When my grandpa died, my mom and her siblings were cleaning out his house as my grandma moved to a condo after his death. He loved trains and had a ton of sets and all sorts of train related memorabilia. They didn’t know the source of his love for trains until they started looking into some files. They found some work documents and turns out that my great grandfather - who died when my grandpa was two years old - worked for the railroads. My grandpa got into trains as a way to connect to his father he barely knew

Nice story mate. Railroad people are certainly a special breed no doubt. I grew up with a large rail yard at the bottom of the street, the sound of the train at night, the continual smell of Sulfur and coal, can't beat it, I was hooked from an early age!

Woody, when you look at the construction of Big Boy you have to be amazed at some of the engineering involved. Some very innovative men about.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    Woody, when you look at the construction of Big Boy you have to be amazed at some of the engineering involved. Some very innovative men about.
    What always gets me with most foreign locomotives is that everything that is hidden away on British ones is mounted up in full view on the boiler. Our locos certainly look better aesthetically but must be a bugger to maintain in comparison.

Woody, that was terrific! Thanks for posting it. Makes the 'Union of South Africa' look like a refugee from a train set!

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88 View Post
    Woody, that was terrific! Thanks for posting it. Makes the 'Union of South Africa' look like a refugee from a train set!
    Not as classy though!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)