+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T driving test question

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    I was looking when I had to renew my paper license for one
    of these new fangled photo ones.
    I never passed a test here .passed one in Germany, then got moved to cyprus.
    Two years later I was informed some of my records had disappeared along with any
    proof of me passing a test.
    So I had to take it again.
    Anyone else still got the normal license?
    Casper nailed it!

Not quite matey

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Pass test in Rotherham.
    Emigrate.
    Pass test in new country.
    That's how I did it anyway :-)
    I did the same. Except in the US your driving licence inexplicably expires when your visa does which meant I had to re-take the driving test every year I went back (that I needed to drive the bus/tractor/car etc of the place I worked).

I got turned away from bars for invalid ID because I tried to use an expired licence, despairing at the fact that while the licence itself was expired my date of birth was still the same.

So I've passed first time quite a few times. Luckily in the US the test was free to take and is basically driving around the block so only took 5 minutes. You just paid for your licence if you passed too which I thought was odd, the test was all free.

Happened to both my sons when they emigrated to Australia. Had to take the Aussie test within 2 years.

Even though I knew that, I still didn’t know the answer! It’s my age

People who pass first time aren't necessarily better drivers than those who don't.

One bloke did fail though, I nearly wet myself.
    Instructor said to him. At the next junction turn left.
    He went straight on.
    The instructor thought he hadn't heard him.
    So he said louder , at the next junction turn left.
    He went straight on.
    the instructor said . Stop the car., WhY didn't you turnleft when I asked you.
    He replied.
    What do you want me to turn left on a nice road like this for?

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    People who pass first time aren't necessarily better drivers than those who don't.
    Correct great fire makes no difference whatsoever, just means they were ready for the test on the day and the others weren’t.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Scum, not much chance of failing. 6 weeks intensive driving coarse, 8 hrs a day.
    plus weekend night driving.
    So If you fail after that lot .
    Pfff, nowt good about that lot. I self taught to drive on private land, including reversing into coned bays, emergency breaking etc.
    Best place to stall a car at first without feeling embarrassed as you learnt to control the clutch and gears .
    When I felt confident I booked in with British School of Motoring (BSM) on Domine Lane so as to look like I had been using a reputable driving school when I arrived for my test at the Test Centre. I only took 7 lessons in Total passing first time. Harry my driving instructor thought I showed great ability, vision and the use of common sense on the road, which I have to say is sadly lacking on today's roads.

When I left the pit, I applied for the JACCS government retraining scheme and took my Class 1 Heavy Goods Licence, now the LGV Licence. 5 day course consisting of 4 hour lessons so obviously 20 hours in total. Took my test on the 6th day and passed this the first time. It's not what you're driving it's how you interpret the road and conditions and apply your driving skills accordingly.

When I think back, it was quite a surreal feeling from one day being a couple of miles underground driving a 30 ton LH1300 Road Header mining machine , to two weeks later driving a 44 tonne articulated Lorry and trailer heading for the beautiful drive through the Scottish glens.

Brin I had no choice. It was not an option.

To be fair the driving test was much easier when I did it in 1990. I drove round Worksop for 20 minutes. Answered a couple of questions while sat in the car and done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast