+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T driving test question

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Brin I had no choice. It was not an option.
    Not having a dig pal, just jokingly comparing your length of refresher time to me taking a crash course in 6 days. It is what it is and what they say counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    To be fair the driving test was much easier when I did it in 1990. I drove round Worksop for 20 minutes. Answered a couple of questions while sat in the car and done.
    On the topic of examiners questions my sister told me about her workmate who reportedly failed the test on the questions bit

When asked by the examiner “give me an example of a road sign you might see on a country road that you won’t see in a town”

Her answer was “pick your own strawberries”

Quote Originally Posted by grist_to_the_mill View Post
    on the topic of examiners questions my sister told me about her workmate who reportedly failed the test on the questions bit

when asked by the examiner “give me an example of a road sign you might see on a country road that you won’t see in a town”

her answer was “pick your own strawberries”

Anyone that passed their test in the 70's with Mr Roddis earned it for sure.

Another thing our instructors did was say.
    What was the last sign we passed?
    Maybe a mile back.
    If we didn't know we had to get out and walk back to find out.

A friend of mine who joked about everything approached his driving test in the same “devil may care” attitude.

The driving test centre was that one that used to be next to Clifton Park.

What he didn’t know was his examiner had a reputation for being tough and for being a miserable barsteward.

At the start if the test they were both in the yard on the front of the centre and the examiner said “read me that number plate attached to the tree over there”

My friend replied “ tree? What tree?”

He failed

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Anyone that passed their test in the 70's with Mr Roddis earned it for sure.
    Sota you mean Mr Harrison he was the t.wat and I had been pre warned about him and his love of failing drivers by the bucket load. Probably his joy of getting off on such a commanding position. Low and behold I had him for my examiner! 4th May 1979 and it was snowing!!

He suggested we drove to Wickersley and the higher we climbed out of the town centre the worse it became. By the time we reached Wick it was 2- 3 inch deep and he had me drive onto a side street, forget where, we he asked for a reversible manoeuvre.

The car windows on the back and sides were covered and I couldn't see a bloody thing out of them. I already had the car in neutral and ticking over so I stopped the engine and put it first gear. I was getting out of the car when he asked me what I was doing and where was I going?. I told him to clean the windows off, maybe that impressed him. Anyway, I reversed correctly but I thought I went up on the kerb but by now the snow was really coming down so you couldn't really tell if I did.

Driving back through the town centre on Effingham Street near the bus station, I sped up and went through the pedestrian crossing. When we got back to the test centre he said he had one question for me, 'Why did I speed up approaching the ped crossing?' I explained as a 'pedestrian' and frequent user of the bus station I was aware that once on red for pedestrians the lights don't change for another minute so it gave me ample time to approach and go through the crossing at the speed I did. He handed me my pass certificate and promptly left the car!

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Sota you mean Mr Harrison he was the t.wat and I had been pre warned about him and his love of failing drivers by the bucket load. Probably his joy of getting off on such a commanding position. Low and behold I had him for my examiner! 4th May 1979 and it was snowing!!

He suggested we drove to Wickersley and the higher we climbed out of the town centre the worse it became. By the time we reached Wick it was 2- 3 inch deep and he had me drive onto a side street, forget where, we he asked for a reversible manoeuvre.

The car windows on the back and sides were covered and I couldn't see a bloody thing out of them. I already had the car in neutral and ticking over so I stopped the engine and put it first gear. I was getting out of the car when he asked me what I was doing and where was I going?. I told him to clean the windows off, maybe that impressed him. Anyway, I reversed correctly but I thought I went up on the kerb but by now the snow was really coming down so you couldn't really tell if I did.

Driving back through the town centre on Effingham Street near the bus station, I sped up and went through the pedestrian crossing. When we got back to the test centre he said he had one question for me, 'Why did I speed up approaching the ped crossing?' I explained as a 'pedestrian' and frequent user of the bus station I was aware that once on red for pedestrians the lights don't change for another minute so it gave me ample time to approach and go through the crossing at the speed I did. He handed me my pass certificate and promptly left the car!

And that was when the bus hit him.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    And that was when the bus hit him.
    , should have the miserable git.

Did my test in Northampton. Can't remember his name but as seems typical with most testing centres there was one examiner who everybody feared and I got him. Managed to pass 1st time despite stalling the car during the 3 point turn. Just remembered what I'd been told by my instructor, don't panic, hand brake on, put it in neutral, start car, check mirror and continue like nothing has happened. Completed a perfect 5 point turn. Still have the paper licence I got in 1983 as the new fangled ones came out after we moved out here.

Had to take a test in California, written one was 50 multiple choice questions where you had to get 45 right. I got something like 42 but they then told you the ones you got wrong and you had one chance to correct those answers Practical test was a doddle once the examiner saw I was driving a stick (manual) car. Mind you she was an extremely attractive young Latin lady wearing a very short skirt so it was hard to concentrate. Lasted less than 2 minutes (the test that is ).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast