+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So quiet

Not quiet just coming to the realisation its going to take time for Cocu to rebuild

You can see what Cocu is trying to do which is nice to see, just the personal aren't good enough to carry it out, Needs 2 more windows at the very least. I'd stick with him because there's a plan there at least.

Forest remind me of a Cardiff/Sheff Utd, nothing fancy but get the job done in a fashion and might well probably do a Cardiff/Sheff Utd who knows, the longer they stay up there the more chance of s*** housing it.

I wont miss them if they did go up, best you can hope for is to do a Norwich and just yoyo

Premier League isn't the be all and end all anyway. Bournemouth are living the dream but their max plateau has been reached under Howe for example. Clubs like ours, Forests, Bournemouth etc are never going to become big names.

Bournemough/Burnley in particular have got their Alan Curbishley's at the moment, the moment they go they will sink back to their natural levels.

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    Premier League isn't the be all and end all anyway. Bournemouth are living the dream but their max plateau has been reached under Howe for example. Clubs like ours, Forests, Bournemouth etc are never going to become big names.

Bournemough/Burnley in particular have got their Alan Curbishley's at the moment, the moment they go they will sink back to their natural levels.
    That's a pretty bull **** question.
    It's all about money.
    Who'd have thought LCFC would have the money they have now 10 years ago?
    Any thing can change in football.
    Chelsea/Man City were going no where until a sugar daddy came along.

They want to buy clubs in big cities though, not small town doss holes like Nottingham and Derby (lets be honest we ain't cities), and big players wanna go to London and Manchester as well

Leicester are the exception not the rule, neither of us can achieve what they did in this day and age (I'll happily be proven wrong though).

And the money? clubs get that not us so makes no difference

Don’t really understand the despondency. Never good to lose to your rivals I know but we were far from outclassed and had it not been for one fine save, two poor misses and a defensive howler we’d have come away with something and deservedly so imo.

As it is we were narrowly beaten by an allegedly reinvigorated Forest side who are meant to be having a great season and are now a whole seven points ahead of us with six months of the season left and ninety points still to play for.

More of a concern for me is why, over the last six years or so, teams like Brighton, Bournemouth, Burnley and Sheffield United seem to have not just caught up with us but well and truly overtaken us and been able to cement a place for themselves in the top flight. We have at least as much potential as any of those four clubs to which you can also add Watford, Southampton, Norwich and even Leicester who’s rise - I agree with Tricky (!) -could never have been predicted.

So what have they got that we haven’t?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 09-11-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Don’t really understand the despondency. Never good to lose to your rivals I know but we were far from outclassed and had it not been for one fine save, two poor misses and a defensive howler we’d have come away with something and deservedly so imo.

As it is we were narrowly beaten by an allegedly reinvigorated Forest side who are meant to be having a great season and are now a whole seven points ahead of us with six months of the season left and ninety points still to play for.

More of a concern for me is why, over the last six years or so, teams like Brighton, Bournemouth, Burnley and Sheffield United seem to have not just caught up with us but well and truly overtaken us and been able to cement a place for themselves in the top flight. We have at least as much potential as any of those four clubs to which you can also add Watford, Southampton, Norwich and even Leicester who’s rise - I agree with Tricky (!) -could never have been predicted.

So what have they got that we haven’t?
    one word... luck

They really ain't that far ahead of us, just because the money involved is massive doesn't mean they are that far ahead. One bad decision for any of them and they are right back in the mad house of the Championship

Stoke were in the top flight for 10 years, and are now sitting 2nd bottom of the Championship

Leicester fans giving it large now need to remember they were in the pits of League 1 only a few years back, and they could end up back there in no time

Luck meaning critical decisions going for them in critical games

Burnley 2013/14 springs to mind, we score but the ref brings it back and sends Martin off, I honestly think we would have won that game 11v11 and only been only 2 points behind them again, they might have collapsed under the pressure after that, as it were they pulled 8 points clear and the rest is history.

Bournemouth got penalty after penalty in their promotion season, games poised at 0-0 1-1 and they got the penalty to win them the game and keep them in the race, if I remember correctly they were slipping just after Xmas but were dragged back into it through dubious penalties

Them's the breaks. But the bottom half sides in the prem are no better than the top half sides in the champ, bottom half prem vs top half Champ there's nothing in it. Norwich decided to do what they normally do when going up, bank the money and spend feck all, enjoy the ride for a season and come back down. The luck they got last season was ridiculous as well, they were pants and said as much at the time.
    Last edited by DCFCArmy; 09-11-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Oh and if we/you go up we have to put up with VAR

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    one word... luck

They really ain't that far ahead of us, just because the money involved is massive doesn't mean they are that far ahead. One bad decision for any of them and they are right back in the mad house of the Championship

Stoke were in the top flight for 10 years, and are now sitting 2nd bottom of the Championship

Leicester fans giving it large now need to remember they were in the pits of League 1 only a few years back, and they could end up back there in no time
    I thought Luck had retired following a sequence of bad injuries?

Brissett is now out as well. Tough times

Much more than just luck in my opinion.
    If I remember rightly they went up the year we lost out to QPR at Wembley.
    We were unlucky that afternoon, yes...but you need more than luck to go up, stay up, win the League, never finish lower than 12th and currently be 2nd...while in the meantime we’ve pretty much stood still.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)