+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So quiet

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Much more than just luck in my opinion.
    If I remember rightly they went up the year we lost out to QPR at Wembley.
    We were unlucky that afternoon, yes...but you need more than luck to go up, stay up, win the League, never finish lower than 12th and currently be 2nd...while in the meantime we’ve pretty much stood still.
    Of course it RA. You maybe lucky to get promoted. Several teams do in play off finals(cough)

But money is what keeps you up. That includes a large fan base/merchandising/sponsors/a real sugar daddy.
    Like miserable says, Stoke did it for 10 years. Where's their sugar daddy?

Anyone can be a big club, if the right circumstances come together.
    No fire without fuel/oxygen/ignition.
    Luck doesn't work making you a big club. It can get you a bonus, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Of course it RA. You maybe lucky to get promoted. Several teams do in play off finals(cough)

But money is what keeps you up. That includes a large fan base/merchandising/sponsors/a real sugar daddy.
    Like miserable says, Stoke did it for 10 years. Where's their sugar daddy?

Anyone can be a big club, if the right circumstances come together.
    No fire without fuel/oxygen/ignition.
    Luck doesn't work making you a big club. It can get you a bonus, but that's it.
    Sure you’re right and to some extent it’s self fulfilling...getting promoted equals get loads of dosh. But we did that eleven years ago and blew it and are the likes of Watford (and I don’t know the answer to this because I’m not really into football finances) Wolves, Brighton Norwich and Sheffield United etc really so much wealthier than us - and you for that matter - without the Premier League dividend?
    Watford apart...maybe those clubs have just been much more settled and consistent in terms of management, more successful in the transfer market and better at the ‘jigsaw’ that is team and squad building.

I don’t know what it is but it seems those mentioned above have something that Leeds, Forest and ourselves - despite all the past achievements - just don’t seem to have at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    Luck meaning critical decisions going for them in critical games

Burnley 2013/14 springs to mind, we score but the ref brings it back and sends Martin off, I honestly think we would have won that game 11v11 and only been only 2 points behind them again, they might have collapsed under the pressure after that, as it were they pulled 8 points clear and the rest is history.

Bournemouth got penalty after penalty in their promotion season, games poised at 0-0 1-1 and they got the penalty to win them the game and keep them in the race, if I remember correctly they were slipping just after Xmas but were dragged back into it through dubious penalties

Them's the breaks. But the bottom half sides in the prem are no better than the top half sides in the champ, bottom half prem vs top half Champ there's nothing in it. Norwich decided to do what they normally do when going up, bank the money and spend feck all, enjoy the ride for a season and come back down. The luck they got last season was ridiculous as well, they were pants and said as much at the time.
    You never cease to amaze me with your lack of football knowledge Bournemouth went up by playing teams off the park with their possession based game Just checked they got 7 pens in 46 games
    Last edited by mistaram; 09-11-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Sure you’re right and to some extent it’s self fulfilling...getting promoted equals get loads of dosh. But we did that eleven years ago and blew it and are the likes of Watford (and I don’t know the answer to this because I’m not really into football finances) Wolves, Brighton Norwich and Sheffield United etc really so much wealthier than us - and you for that matter - without the Premier League dividend?
    Watford apart...maybe those clubs have just been much more settled and consistent in terms of management, more successful in the transfer market and better at the ‘jigsaw’ that is team and squad building.

I don’t know what it is but it seems those mentioned above have something that Leeds, Forest and ourselves - despite all the past achievements - just don’t seem to have at the moment.
    RA it's mainly down to stability Both ourselves Forest and Leeds have been trigger happy regarding managers Owners who listen to fans to much and can't hold their nerve I told you last year Alex Neil is the best manager in this division when we looking for Rowetts replacement but you wouldn't have it Preston are reaping the reward now

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    RA it's mainly down to stability Both ourselves Forest and Leeds have been trigger happy regarding managers Owners who listen to fans to much and can't hold their nerve I told you last year Alex Neil is the best manager in this division when we looking for Rowetts replacement but you wouldn't have it Preston are reaping the reward now
    I think you’re right about that mista and I do remember you singing Alex Neil’s praises.
    Not sure I ‘wouldn’t have it’...honestly can’t remember...but he does appear to be finding some success with PNE and all credit to him for that.
    Football is so fickle he’ll probably be off to West Ham (or Norwich again ) soon.

Stoke were funded by a big gambling firm lol, I think they were alright for a few quid

Lets be honest the premiership is full of hob nobbers and bandwagon merchants. Leicesters stadium was 60% empty in the Championship, they challenge for the title in 2015/16 and along come all these "lifelong" Asian fans, its a fickle world in the prem and that's just the fans. Most Man Ure fans can now be found at the Etihad.

Give me the lower leagues anyday. Forest fans will be all high and mighty when they get up but there's nothing to be cheerful about, if you do well you wont get a ticket for love nor money as the "lifelong supporter" will turn up to take it.

If you ask Sunderland fans what they prefer and if their being truthful to themselves they'll say its not all that bad in League 1, cheap tickets, meet ups with proper fans who are true life long supporters, and a good drink or two enjoying the game.

The prem is finished for the real fan imo, its full of kids and famelies, and the so called "expert vloggers" don't understand the game at all ffs, its easy clicks and views for them.

I actually like the Championship, yeah don't get me wrong I wanna see us win it just for the novelty value, but is it really that important AS A FAN to get promoted? the club will always exist anyway, its fanbase is to big for it to fail, look at Bolton and Bury, Bury was none important but Bolton has a bigger fanbase and therefor was always going to get out of its mess ie Leicester as well.

Stoke were funded by a big gambling firm lol, I think they were alright for a few quid

Lets be honest the premiership is full of hob nobbers and bandwagon merchants. Leicesters stadium was 60% empty in the Championship, they challenge for the title in 2015/16 and along come all these "lifelong" Asian fans, its a fickle world in the prem and that's just the fans. Most Man Ure fans can now be found at the Etihad.

Give me the lower leagues anyday. Forest fans will be all high and mighty when they get up but there's nothing to be cheerful about, if you do well you wont get a ticket for love nor money as the "lifelong supporter" will turn up to take it.
    Forest fans have nothing to worry about they won't be going up for a long time If you don't want the Prem and prefer the lower leagues why not go to Burton or even Matlock

If you ask Sunderland fans what they prefer and if their being truthful to themselves they'll say its not all that bad in League 1, cheap tickets, meet ups with proper fans who are true life long supporters, and a good drink or two enjoying the game.

The prem is finished for the real fan imo, its full of kids and famelies, and the so called "expert vloggers" don't understand the game at all ffs, its easy clicks and views for them.

I actually like the Championship, yeah don't get me wrong I wanna see us win it just for the novelty value, but is it really that important AS A FAN to get promoted? the club will always exist anyway, its fanbase is to big for it to fail, look at Bolton and Bury, Bury was none important but Bolton has a bigger fanbase and therefor was always going to get out of its mess ie Leicester as well.
    Pretty sure Sunderland fans are no different to any other fans they will want Prem football

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)