+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A shocker !!

A shocker !!

Just been flicking through to see what's on't box, and currently showing on Eurosport 2 HD is 'Live World Sambo Championships'. from South Korea. What ??? WTF is that and more to the point how do they get away with it ? It says 'with some of the world's best martial artists in action'. Best of luck if they ever try to stage it in the UK, and I can't believe the PC Brigade aren't all over it anyway.

Aye I doubt it will catch on here with that name

What does Sambo mean?

The word “sambo” is an acronym of the Russian words, “SAMozashchita Bez Oruzhiya,” which is why the word is sometimes seen in all caps as SAMBO. The meaning of sambo is literally, “self-defense without weapons.” The fighting style is often simply referred to as “sambo” for brevity.

Sambo Origin and History

Sambo came into being in the early 20th century as part of the hand-to-hand training regimen created for the Soviet Union’s Red Army. Three men in particular were instrumental in sambo’s creation.

One of the three was Viktor Spiridonov, a World War I veteran with an extensive background in wrestling and martial arts such as Japanese jujutsu. Spiridonov worked with the Red Army as an instructor and trainer at Dynamo, the physical training center for the People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs (the NKVD). Due to an arm injury sustained in WWI, Spiridonov focused on techniques he could execute, emphasizing movement over strength.

Spiridonov’s goal was to combine the most effective aspects of various wrestling and martial arts styles for use in a new hand-to-hand combat system. The style Spiridonov developed was known as “samoz,” and could be used by weaker or injured practitioners.

While Spiridonov was developing his own style of fighting, a man named Vasili Oshchepkov was also working with the Red Army, developing a new hand-to-hand fighting system. In his youth, Oshchepkov studied judo and trained in Japan at Jigoro Kano’s Kodokan Academy. In 1913, Oshchepkov became the first Russian to earn a black belt and went on to earn his second degree black belt from Kano himself in 1917. Oshchepkov brought his knowledge of judo to Russia, where it was incorporated into the Red Army’s hand-to-hand combat training.

https://punchermedia.com/russian-sambo-explained/

We have a family of Sambos moved in a couple of blocks away from us. I think they are from Somalia, but I don't honestly know if they are any good at martial arts. The little lad loves his football though, he always has a ball at his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    The little lad loves his football though, he always has a ball at his feet.
    And its probably not his the cheating thieving bastids !

Are we allowed to post this sort of stuff these days ?.
    As somebody else said, wheres the pathetic PC brigade when you dont need em ? lol.

We are pretty much our own men & women on here Acido and don't really fall for this PC malarkey.

Were today's visitors at Oakwell all pretty much Stoked up?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We are pretty much our own men & women on here Acido and don't really fall for this PC malarkey.
    Were today's visitors at Oakwell all pretty much Stoked up?
    In case you didnt realise Mr Bedly lol, I was being sarcy and I was criticising the PC brigade thing. (I called them pathetic and I suggested we dont need em lol).
    Stoke might have been up for it under the new Michael O'Neill regime etc, but we just gift wrapped them the points again with some ludicrous individual mistakes. Thats what we do because we've got a team of inexperienced kids!!.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)