+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remaining Games

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - Downing has made the second highest total in the Championship of what the stats people call "successful key passes".
    So I am advised by people. Talk about one of the most pointless stats I’ve ever heard.
    We barley create anything, week after week we sit and say the same thing. Our attack is toothless.
    We haven’t scored many goals, nor are we missing tonnes of chances.
    Then you see this stat? Look at our GD. Look at how many chances we created on Sat. Away at Birmingham we had one shot all night. Downing played in all the games. How about forward passes that create chances? I’d imagine Holbty has more in his 2 games than most. But there won’t be a stat for that.
    Downing takes all our set pieces, and for the large part they are poor. We actually scored our first goal on Sat from a corner!! It’s Nov. These are reason we are 5 points off the bottom 3. And this stat means nothing.

That stat does NOT refer to passes in general. It refers to "key passes" - those which are "instrumental in creating a goal-scoring opportunity". That is the official definition, so your argument does not stack up. Downing has made 36 of those. The top score (in the Championship) is 37.

That stat does NOT refer to passes in general. It refers to "key passes" - those which are "instrumental in creating a goal-scoring opportunity". That is the official definition, so your argument does not stack up. Downing has made 36 of those. The top score (in the Championship) is 37.
    So as I thought. It means absolutely nothing.

I have only missed a few games this season. And at no point have we missed tonnes of chances that this stat claims. We hardly score. We rarely create anything. And are terrible from set pieces. One of the main reasons we are struggling. I'd love to see these 36 chances we missed? SG never gets any service at all. And when DG plays, he barley touches the ball.

We are entering a critical period for this club.
    Win the next 2 and we get the confidence to push on,lose them and we are in a dogfight.
    The players if they value and respect mowbray,will really need to knuckle down and try.
    The Barnsley game will be scrappy and rough but I believe we will win this one and turn our season around

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    I have only missed a few games this season. And at no point have we missed tonnes of chances that this stat claims. We hardly score. We rarely create anything. And are terrible from set pieces. One of the main reasons we are struggling. I'd love to see these 36 chances we missed? SG never gets any service at all. And when DG plays, he barley touches the ball.
    I don't reckon it refers to chances. What the player who receives the pass does with it is another matter altogether!
    Still, this stuff is very carefully compiled and it can't just be dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    We are entering a critical period for this club.
    Win the next 2 and we get the confidence to push on,lose them and we are in a dogfight.
    The players if they value and respect mowbray,will really need to knuckle down and try.
    The Barnsley game will be scrappy and rough but I believe we will win this one and turn our season around
    Robin - I don't think TM would survive two more losses in a row, and - you're right - the players must know that.
    We'll see against Barnsley, although I honestly don't think it's been a case of lack of effort up to now. To me, lack of confidence, and the extreme inconsistency of our forward-group have been the two key factors in our bad run.
    Our defence has been badly disrupted by injury and has looked shaky, but the forwards have rarely taken the pressure off the back four by creating and taking chances.

I don't reckon it refers to chances. What the player who receives the pass does with it is another matter altogether!
    Still, this stuff is very carefully compiled and it can't just be dismissed.
    Are you sure you understand it Aucks? In a whole world of pointless useless stats that mean nothing at all, this one tops the lot. Are we actually saying this one paced lad is way way way above the rest of the mere mortals?
    He cant even put in a half decent cross for a corner. In free play, I rarley see him put a decent ball into the box, surley the only relevant stat is how many chances he creates, in the position he plays? Its embarrassing. His free kicks are woeful. I wonder why the stats for that aren't available?

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Are you sure you understand it Aucks? In a whole world of pointless useless stats that mean nothing at all, this one tops the lot. Are we actually saying this one paced lad is way way way above the rest of the mere mortals?
    He cant even put in a half decent cross for a corner. In free play, I rarley see him put a decent ball into the box, surley the only relevant stat is how many chances he creates, in the position he plays? Its embarrassing. His free kicks are woeful. I wonder why the stats for that aren't available?
    Champs - they are not making it up! Why would they?
    These firms pay people to go through every game, minute by minute.
    This statistic does NOT include unthreatening, sideways or backwards passes.
    As I wrote before, their definition of a 'key' pass is is one which is "instrumental in creating a goal-scoring opportunity".
    This is a simple statistical measurement - arrived at objectively by professionals with no axe to grind. The fact that you don't like it doesn't invalidate it!

Champs - they are not making it up! Why would they?
    These firms pay people to go through every game, minute by minute.
    This statistic does NOT include unthreatening, sideways or backwards passes.
    As I wrote before, their definition of a 'key' pass is is one which is "instrumental in creating a goal-scoring opportunity".
    This is a simple statistical measurement - arrived at objectively by professionals with no axe to grind. The fact that you don't like it doesn't invalidate it!
    So which players are receiving these balls in that are being missed,? As the stats from the game tells is we had 1 shot last week? That happens quite alot. It did at Birmgham? We ever seem to create anything. It's often said, SG was quiet today but had no service. You could say the same about Graham. And I don't see Armstrong missing many? Dack is too deep these days to be missing many. So where does this tally up with match stayed. Shots on target, corners. We are one of the lowest scorers in the Champ. And never seem to miss many chances. We never seem to create many. Match stats last week said one shot on target. So where does this stat fit into a game of football? It's not one I've ever heard in my life before. And I've played semi professional football. And can tell you it's not something relevant to a football match.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)