+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rotherham United 2 0 Spennymoor United 1934

Rotherham United 2 0 Spennymoor United 1934

NEXT, PLEASE!
    Rotherham Through Rather Easily.
    PENALTY SAVED.
    (By Ivanhoe.")
    (F.A.. CUP. - FIRST ROUND.)

The meeting of Rotherham United and Spennymoor United, at Millmoor, was the Cup-tie tit-bit for football followers in the Rotherham district. The teams met in the competition six years ago, and the fact that a replay was necessary on that occasion gave promise of a keen tussle to-day, despite Spennymoor’s rather bad fall a week ago. Rotherham’s success against Darlington was a welcome revival, but there was a feeling at Rotherham that it would not be wise to place too much reliance upon that game as a criterion for to-day. Spennymoor were welcomed as opponents to be respected and as a team likely to put up a strong show.
    Raynor, the doubtful one in the home team, was unfit and Briggs was again on duty at outside right
    It was a dull afternoon, but there were early prospects of a good "gate". Spennymoor had a following of about 250.
    Teams: Rotherham United.-Clough; Ford and Turner, Curry. Duckworth and Heelbeck; Briggs. Fenoughty, Bastow, Dickinson, and Reid.
    Spennymoor United.-Morgan; Potts and Hubbick; Siddle. Andrews, and Towers; Coates, Hope, Holmes. Ruddy. and Harker
    Referee: Mr. J. B. Mellor (Bradford).
    Rotherham won the toss and advanced on the left forcing a corner in the first minute. From Curry’s kick the ball was bobbing about in the goalmouth until it went out to Reid, who kicked over the bar.
    A free kick put the visitors on the attack, but Clough easily fielded a loose ball.
    The attendance was about 5,OOO, with more coming in all the time.
    Ford, from a free kick for a foul on Curry, put the ball in front of goal. It hung about there for a while, eventually going out to Heelbeck, who shot wide.
    FREE KICK—FIRST GOAL.
    A little later the left-back came a nasty cropper when jumping for a ball at the same time as Hope, falling heavily and damaging his ribs. Trainer Smailes was called upon to bandage the limb, and straight away from the free kick awarded Rotherham, the home side scored. There was a heavy scrimmage in the Spennymoor goalmouth, and Morgan had cleared one shot rather desperately before DICKENSON got to the ball and banged it in.
    Rotherham continued to pile on pressure, and Morgan saved in great style an excellent header from Fenoughty.
    Spennymoor attacked, and Holmes, their centre-forward, was several times in action. Coates shot weakly when well placed, while a second or two later he was stopped by Turner before he could centre.
    A centre by Reid want across the front of the goal, and BRIGGS got his head to the ball in flne style and beat Morgan all the way.
    PENALTY SAVED
    This was Rotherham's second goal in 17 minutes.
    Spennymoor made headway after this reverse, and Clough gathered a fast goal from the right just as Holmes was dashing up. The pair met almost on the goal line.
    Turner took things rather too easily in another attack, and Holmes again got to close quarters. There was a bout of heading in the goalmouth before the ball was cleared.
    Heavy pressure by Rotherham gave Hubbick and Potts some warm minutes, but Spennymoor rallied finely.
    After half an hour's play the Spennymoor left wing got busy and Holmes was fouled by Turner in the "box.” The penalty kick, taken by the centre-forward, was finely saved by Clough.
    Rotherham went away, but smart passing between Dickenson, Bastow, and Reid fizzled out. The visitors broke away, and Clough gathered a high bouncing ball from Harker.
    Half-time:—Rotherham United 2 Spennymoor 0
    The second half opened rather scrappily. Then Morgan ran well out to meet right a right flank attack, and a little later Andrews came on the scene in the nick of time to clear after Morgan had been drawn well out of his charge.
    Spennymoor conceded a corner on the right, but nothing came of it. and the ball travelled to the other end, where a free kick yielded no advantage.
    A free-kick a couple of yards outside the penalty area was placed wide by Dickenson. A corner followed, from which Bastow headed over. Another free-kick to Rotherham was placed by Heelbeck just over the bar.
    A CLOSE CALL.
    Fenoughty went away well, but his pass went astray, It was a close call for Spennymoor a little later when Briggs put in a centre and, after the ball had been fisted away by Morgan, one of the backs caught it with his toe as it was banged back.
    Rotherham continued to have the better of the exchanges, but their work in front of goal was not impressive.
    ResuIt:—ROTHERHAM UTD. . . 2 SPENNYMOOR UTD. . 0
    The attendance was 7,493 and the receipts £390 8s. 3d.

Star Green 'un - Saturday 24 November 1934

Good read that. Whenever I read about matches in the 30s, I can't help but think about how people got there including the teams. Certainly the away team anyway. I bet a lot of teams travelled by train. There were roads but no motorways back then (I think), cars and buses were pretty basic too and would have taken hours compared to today, not too comfortable either I imagine. I stand to be corrected on all of this, I doubt anyone will be old enough to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Good read that. Whenever I read about matches in the 30s, I can't help but think about how people got there including the teams. Certainly the away team anyway. I bet a lot of teams travelled by train. There were roads but no motorways back then (I think), cars and buses were pretty basic too and would have taken hours compared to today, not too comfortable either I imagine. I stand to be corrected on all of this, I doubt anyone will be old enough to know for sure.
    Before putting that article up I was reading when Rotherham County played Chelsea in the FA Cup in 1923 and that article stated there had been 2 train loads of Rotherham supporters that made the journey.
    One I find hard to believe is that a report in the early 50's states that 8,000 Rotherham fans made the journey to Hull's Boothferry Park and that there was 85 coaches.
    Also pre- World War 2 there are reports of supporters travelling with the team.

These reports if anyone is interested can be found at the British Newspaper Archive although there is a subscription after viewing 3 articles.

Surprisingly we have been drawn against Spennymoor three times in the FA Cup, first time went to a replay. The tie that some Millersmadsters may have gone to (like me) was at Millmoor, 17/12/77 (Round 2) W6-0. Phillips 3, Crawford 2, Gwyther.
    Millers team - McAllister, Forrest, Breckin, Womble, Stancliffe, Green, Finney, Phillips, Gwyther, Goodfellow, Crawford
    Attendance 4788

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Surprisingly we have been drawn against Spennymoor three times in the FA Cup, first time went to a replay. The tie that some Millersmadsters may have gone to (like me) was at Millmoor, 17/12/77 (Round 2) W6-0. Phillips 3, Crawford 2, Gwyther.
    Millers team - McAllister, Forrest, Breckin, Womble, Stancliffe, Green, Finney, Phillips, Gwyther, Goodfellow, Crawford
    Attendance 4788
    Yes I went to that one. (I think)

Attendances like that now and we would go bust

Fascinating report again. Think Fenoughty eventually played for Sheffield United. He had three sons play at Wembley in the same match, the only time this has occurred.
    Think the 8,000 Millers fans were part of a 50,000 plus crowd. Possibly the biggest league attendance we've played in front of.

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    Fascinating report again. Think Fenoughty eventually played for Sheffield United. He had three sons play at Wembley in the same match, the only time this has occurred.
    Think the 8,000 Millers fans were part of a 50,000 plus crowd. Possibly the biggest league attendance we've played in front of.

That would be Mick, Tom and Nick Fenoughty who all played for Matlock Town

They all played in the 1975 FA Trophy final

Tom Fenoughty senior I think is the one mentioned in the report, who did play for Rotherham and Sheff Utd

Grandson Mick Fenoughty I believe had a behind the scenes staff job at Bramhall Lane

That’s a lot of Fenoughtys

(I think that’s right)