+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR. any fans?

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    I think var should only be called on by ref if he is unsure about a decision.
    At the moment even the pundits are looking for a longer toe nail offside.
    What happened to. Clear and obvious?
    Not long back they were on about clear air between players to be adjudged offside.
    Getting worse now.
    Offside is like a run out. You're in or out. No grey area.

It took a good few years to get both DRS and TMO right in cricket and rugby. Its now an integral part of these sports. Football may just need to be patient.

Using the Sheff Utd incident as an example of how ridiculous it is, presumably any body part can be offside? So if your arm is outstretched and beyond the line of the last defender, you're deemed offside?
    The Blades player's boot was literally a fraction beyond the line of the last defender's foot, but the defender's arm and head were beyond that line too, technically playing the striker onside (if its any body part, and if that applies to the defence too... **** knows) and the goal should have stood.

Also the referees can view the incidents for themselves on a monitor, but none of them bother. The referee should (maybe does) have the authority to overrule VAR and go with his own instinct after viewing incidents for themselves. If the ref had taken a look at the farcical offside decision that went against Sheff Utd, he could have seen what the rest of us have now seen and thought "seriously? Nah, goal stands".

Yes we needed technology in football but it's being abused rather than used wisely. Crash is right about the 'air between players' in offside decisions, which is something I think should still be the case. Measuring offsides by millimetres is abusing the tools available IMO.

Is that var fault hazza or the rule relating to offside? If you have clear air rule what if it's half a hairs pubic hair width of air?. It's the same people interpretation the decision..
    Maybe scrap the offside rule ? Maybe have it as any part of the body is offside, even if it's a toe nail.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Offside is like a run out. You're in or out. No grey area.
    I think it's this what people are having trouble with. Coupled with the time it takes..
    Tbh it should be as quick as goal line technology. For me, like you say. There's no grey area. It's on or off. It should be one of the easier decision to make

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    Using the Sheff Utd incident as an example of how ridiculous it is, presumably any body part can be offside? So if your arm is outstretched and beyond the line of the last defender, you're deemed offside?
    The Blades player's boot was literally a fraction beyond the line of the last defender's foot, but the defender's arm and head were beyond that line too, technically playing the striker onside (if its any body part, and if that applies to the defence too... **** knows) and the goal should have stood.

Also the referees can view the incidents for themselves on a monitor, but none of them bother. The referee should (maybe does) have the authority to overrule VAR and go with his own instinct after viewing incidents for themselves. If the ref had taken a look at the farcical offside decision that went against Sheff Utd, he could have seen what the rest of us have now seen and thought "seriously? Nah, goal stands".

Yes we needed technology in football but it's being abused rather than used wisely. Crash is right about the 'air between players' in offside decisions, which is something I think should still be the case. Measuring offsides by millimetres is abusing the tools available IMO.
    I thought it was any part of you that you can score with so your arm / hand would not count . I think as far as Blades incident was concerned it was his toenail . A lot of situations are still down to one person's interpretation of the rules so they may as just leave it up to the ref as far as I'm concerned . Certainly wouldn't take as long .

Also if they removed the doubt from hand ball it would be easier.
    It's either handball or not no matter if your the attacking team or defensive team

No, don't like it.

As you say Scum, the worst part is the delay to see if you really are celebrating or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post

Hands and arms don't count Hazza, but heads do, either for the defender or the attacker. I thought the same as you, that the defender's head was goalside of the attackers body/head/legs. If so the VAR officials got it wrong but that is not the fault of the system it is the fault of an individual and VAR should make the decision easy.
    As Cayton says - whether or not the "clear air" rule is fairer or not it doesn't make the decision any easier. There is still an infinitely fine line to be ruled upon.

Definitely needs to get better. Less delays, more transparency, refs review of monitor etc etc. but I'm for the system (if it gets better)

Hazza. The ref cant view it himself.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast