+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VAR. any fans?

VAR. any fans?

I may as well have my say on the disaster that is VAR that is only second to diving as the worst thing in football. Firstly, nobody called for this. As a fan at a game, that feeling of scoring a goal cannot be described. Pure outpouring of emotion. A moment the fans and players all share together. Nobody wants to wait around for 5 minutes before celebrating. One of the beautiful things about it is the spontaneous in the moment feeling of joy.
    Secondly, footballers play youth football, reserve football, lower league football at the start of their careers. Then if they are lucky and talented enough they get to play in the premier league where suddenly the rules have changed on match days. Even the ones that spend all their careers at the top don’t play training games or friendlies with VAR. These offsides wouldn’t be offside at any other stage so how can they train for it.
    In summary. It’s **** and needs to go. But that would mean the EPL admitting they were wrong and I can’t see that happening.

A pal of mine says if it's introduced into the lower leagues then that's him finished with football.
    Use goal line technology by all means.

I said in the summer use it in the lower leagues just to punish cheating not for contentious decisions thereby hopefully leading to a deterrent.
    The game shouldn,t be stopped but incidents are brought to the refs attention at HT and after the match.
    Things like shirt pulling, persistent pushing, argey bargey at corners, excessive time wasting, shouting at officials, diving, contact that didn,t happen.

Red or yellows could be issued at the start of the second half and others on Monday before any midweek games.
    It was require additional cameras which could be costly though. Get the Prem to fund it
    Last edited by flourbasher; 11-11-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Not a fan, but folk have moaned for years about refs decisions. Now we have help, allbeit to the enth degree, people don't want it.
    If we just accepted that refs are human and make mistakes, bonded for VAR. For every team upset by a controversial decision, another side is happy.

I said before that the Championship will be the best division this season because of VAR but I expect that it will be sorted out by next season because the Premier League won't want to kill their cash cow and see all those people in the Far East switching to watching La Liga instead.

Personally I wish they'd scrap it altogether, football isn't the same with all those delays.

Not a fan ATM but I do realise times move on and something is needed. Rules deff need twerking to be compatible with var.
    i don't totally agree with op about waiting 5 min to celebrate. ATM when a goal is scored the fans celebrate,. Then the doubt kicks in waiting for var. If the goal stands they celebrate again. 2for1 deal. Ok I don't think 5 minutes is acceptable when it's obv after 30 seconds wether it's a goal or not.
    I'm sure it will improve given time and it's probably the younger generation that will accept it rather than our age group (politely, over 50s). Minor changes over the years Inc goalkeeper not picking ball up from backpass and offside rule. We got used to though it took 3 or 4 seasons.
    Var is a major change so could take longer.

Var is rubbish.

If it’s here to stay though maybe them that use it upstairs need training more in common sense for a start
    Yes the rules are there but ffs a fingernail/toenail and it’s offside?

Somethings that seem to be given make you wonder if they actually know about football or maybe accidentally cheating

I’m trying to think of positivities but I just can’t yet

It’s still rubbish

I think var should only be called on by ref if he is unsure about a decision.
    At the moment even the pundits are looking for a longer toe nail offside.
    What happened to. Clear and obvious?
    Not long back they were on about clear air between players to be adjudged offside.
    Getting worse now.

They could scrap it now for me. It’s raising more trouble than it’s solving.

9 times out of 10 it’s being used to find a reason to cancel out a goal rather than to give one.

Plus it takes far to long and then the decision is doubtful.

Scrap it

We've got it as a result of many years of supporters and managers whinging about the quality of officials. You reap what you sew.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast