+ Visit England Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T - Twisting a meaning.

O/T - Twisting a meaning.

It happens a lot in the media these days.

A prime example for me is the floods in the Doncaster area being described by media outlets as a “national disaster” and being described as the same by opposition political parties.

FFS......this is ridiculous,this sort of scenario is a local or regional disaster ( more
    Local in my opinion ) but everything has to be ramped up to stupid levels these days.

It’s a really sad event for all those people and needs action from local council and assistance from central government with funding where required but “national disaster”?

Shouldn’t this be on the O/T politics thread? I really don’t want to be picking out this post Mick but i thought the agreement was we put everything on that other thread. Since the last game, all I could see are the threads relating to our baggies and football. It makes such a difference to come on here and see baggie fans discussing what this board is about. Not sure why this new thread had to be started.

I can't remember the last time I visited the Red Lion

What O/T politics thread? Sure you’re on the right board, mate?

Anyway, situations like this need to be described as “national” to get the Government’s interest and persuade them to drop a few crumbs from the table. The problems in Yorkshire join those in previous years in the English regions; remember the Somerset levels, Lake District/C*ockermouth/Carlisle - twice - and lower level incidents in Lancashire and southern Scotland? A few millions get spent on barriers then it happens again a few years later. The English regions SUFFER but are always left as the poor relations. Why is London always top of the per capita spending figures for England? It should enjoy massive economy of scale which keeps costs down but London is always top of that list going back 50 years. That means that of the taxes that I pay, more is spent in London than on my own region. The same for most of you too.

It’s time that the Government spent massively on upriver schemes to hold water back but they won’t because it’s expensive in the short-term and dealing with landowners is difficult. HS2 anyone? They haven’t found it difficult there and the money seems to be readily available for what is, at the end of the day and in its current form, an expensive way of getting people from Birmingham to London more quickly. Problems with transport? Let’s spend billions on a big hole under London, despite already having one of the best bus, taxi, tube and overground rail networks in the world. Chance of flooding? Billions spent on a barrier. You see my point

It’s time for the government, whatever its political makeup after the election, to concentrate on other parts of the country. Scotland already has its Barnett formula and the English regions need something similar. If a political party made a firm undertaking to do this I’d vote for them. At the very least there should be a promise that per capita spending in London will be no greater than the average of the other English regions.

How’s that for an O/T political thread?

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    What O/T politics thread? Sure you’re on the right board, mate?

Anyway, situations like this need to be described as “national” to get the Government’s interest and persuade them to drop a few crumbs from the table. The problems in Yorkshire join those in previous years in the English regions; remember the Somerset levels, Lake District/C*ockermouth/Carlisle - twice - and lower level incidents in Lancashire and southern Scotland? A few millions get spent on barriers then it happens again a few years later. The English regions SUFFER but are always left as the poor relations. Why is London always top of the per capita spending figures for England? It should enjoy massive economy of scale which keeps costs down but London is always top of that list going back 50 years. That means that of the taxes that I pay, more is spent in London than on my own region. The same for most of you too.

It’s time that the Government spent massively on upriver schemes to hold water back but they won’t because it’s expensive in the short-term and dealing with landowners is difficult. HS2 anyone? They haven’t found it difficult there and the money seems to be readily available for what is, at the end of the day and in its current form, an expensive way of getting people from Birmingham to London more quickly. Problems with transport? Let’s spend billions on a big hole under London, despite already having one of the best bus, taxi, tube and overground rail networks in the world. Chance of flooding? Billions spent on a barrier. You see my point

It’s time for the government, whatever its political makeup after the election, to concentrate on other parts of the country. Scotland already has its Barnett formula and the English regions need something similar. If a political party made a firm undertaking to do this I’d vote for them. At the very least there should be a promise that per capita spending in London will be no greater than the average of the other English regions.

How’s that for an O/T political thread?
    Bloody hell Griff .... can you run for parliament in the next general election please.

I thought I logged on to the wrong board for a minute and had to check where I was

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    Shouldn’t this be on the O/T politics thread? I really don’t want to be picking out this post Mick but i thought the agreement was we put everything on that other thread. Since the last game, all I could see are the threads relating to our baggies and football. It makes such a difference to come on here and see baggie fans discussing what this board is about. Not sure why this new thread had to be started.
    No it shouldn’t be on a “political” thread.

The title is “twisting a meaning”.

How appropriate of you to do just that Regis.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    No it shouldn’t be on a “political” thread.

The title is “twisting a meaning”.

How appropriate of you to do just that Regis.
    Oh really? If I was wrong to say that, then why the hell you think action was taken to move this to another forum??? You just can’t help it. Baggies forum was fine this weekend after the game, just pure football chat and no politics. Breath of fresh air.. till you reverted back, or tried. I think 55 made the right call to delete all Political thread into one. It’s made the difference already.

Is this the five minute argument or the full half hour?

What s going on 'ere then,where's these baggies suddenly turned up from?
    Is Stroller still posting? I liked him

Looks like someone didn’t want this thread on the Baggies board so they dumped it over here on England Mad. How rude.

They’ll be back in a minute with a bunch of flowers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast