+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Floods

Floods

I also put this up on the England Mad board in response to someone saying that the recent floods in and around Doncaster were a regional problem, not a national one. I disagreed.

Situations like this need to be described as “national” to get the Government’s interest and persuade them to drop a few crumbs from the table. The problems in Yorkshire join those in previous years in the English regions; remember the Somerset levels, Lake District/C*ockermouth/Carlisle - twice - and lower level incidents in Lancashire and southern Scotland? A few millions get spent on barriers then it happens again a few years later. The English regions SUFFER but are always left as the poor relations. Why is London always top of the per capita spending figures for England? It should enjoy massive economy of scale which keeps costs down but London is always top of that list going back 50 years. That means that of the taxes that I pay, more is spent in London than on my own region. The same for most of you too.

It’s time that the Government spent massively on upriver schemes to hold water back but they won’t because it’s expensive in the short-term and dealing with landowners is difficult. HS2 anyone? They haven’t found it difficult there and the money seems to be readily available for what is, at the end of the day and in its current form, an expensive way of getting people from Birmingham to London more quickly. Problems with transport? Let’s spend billions on a big hole under London, despite already having one of the best bus, taxi, tube and overground rail networks in the world. Chance of flooding? Billions spent on a barrier. You see my point

It’s time for the government, whatever its political makeup after the election, to concentrate on other parts of the country. Scotland already has its Barnett formula and the English regions need something similar. If a political party made a firm undertaking to do this I’d vote for them. At the very least there should be a promise that per capita spending in London will be no greater than the average of the other English regions.

What do you think?

The capital of any country will always profit more from the government I suppose because of tourism,business and so on,we seem to be hit pretty bad by the floods this time with the Trent bursting it's banks in several places,I usually take Coco for a daily run out to the river so he can get some fresh air and ease his boredom but I can't get anywhere near where we sit because the surrounding fields and roads are under water,there's a pub by the river called The Ferry Boat and if you go in you will see that all of the electrical sockets are high up on the wall because it's been flooded so many times,there should be some kind of pot for flooding because as griff says it's a national problem not a local one but I doubt that any government will do this
    I've had two representatives of political parties knock on my door this week plus 3-4 leaflets pushed through the door which piss.ed me off no end as it's the first I've seen of them in years,if a candidate ever called on me when they wasn't brown nosing for my vote I would hold them in a higher regard and remember when it mattered,but they didn't so they can all **** off

Of course we should be spending more money on everything. Regarding your personal finances, if you were 60 grand in debt, you wouldn't be spending money on a new kitchen.

The Tories suddenly spending money on this that and the other is because the country is borrowing less, not erasing debt. We are still growing our debt which was 1.6 trillion, and is slowing, but still getting bigger. Until the debt is fixed, we might as well be skating on one leg.

Such are the consequences of Gordon Brown and the anarchic left. Brown is glad at our suffering, and the state of the country. Corbyn seeks to make it worse, so that when we resort to civil war, the commies will step in and take charge, finally removing democracy from this country.

That's what an EU politician was referring to when he said that our problems were greater than leaving the EU. This country should be swimming in money, no pun intended, a European Saudi arabia. Until we fix our politics, nothing will get fixed.

As long as people vote Labour the cancer will not be cured. All problems stem from that cess pit.

Private Harold Pinter HBO, double grammy winner, and gardener. @ Tulips .com

Not really talking about spending more, Frank, let’s just stop spending it where it isn’t really needed and give it to the areas where there’s the most need which, currently, ISN’T LONDON.

And I ain’t voting Labour.

Heres a surprising fact. Cambridgeshire schools have the lowest funding in the entire country. This is according to ITV Anglia, its been on a couple of times. I can only think that the reason for this is because Cambridgeshire is a rich place. A few years ago we had the highest concentration of millionaires in the country.

That's prejudice against wealth. Prices are much higher here, I am amazed at how cheap Birmingham is when I go back. It must be even cheaper up north. Poorer people here struggle more.

Theres me making an assumption though. How the government works out its priorities is anyones guess. To naturally assume its because there is an inherent prejudice is probably wrong, there are uncountable factors in involved, the most important being population concentrations.

Having said that, the government should help with the flooding. Id never thought id hear Yorkshire people whinging, and blaming the government, its the weather, an act of god, its no ones fault.

Someone has to be blamed though. It must make them feel better.

Roly Horrey, flying winger, but no talent. British School of Motoring BSM MA Doctor of Philosophy of Massalla Pakistan.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)