+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only 6 substitutes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Only 6 substitutes

This article in the Post is giving me cause for concern.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...county-3527416

Out of just an 11 sentence piece with Ben Turner, 4 of them concentrate on just one theme.

"Turner says the players are learning about each other every day and says there is an excellent bond between the squad including those not currently in Ardley’s plans.

“Everybody is in it together. There are lads not even in the squad who are well respected and highly thought of.

“We need those guys to be training well because if they are sulking and making it difficult to train at a good standard then we can’t go on a good run.

“If everybody in it together, and the football club is successful, then it helps everyone. There’s no point people breaking off and going in different directions. We appreciate those guys are still with us and trying to get into the squad.”

Now we know that Notts only listed 6 substitutes on Saturday but we don't know why.

This article suggests to me that there are issues within the squad because if not, then why focus on just one issue.

Thoughts anyone?

My thoughts are that every member of the squad is a paid professional footballer and should be giving their all to training, whether they are currently in the manager's plans or not.

It does seem odd that with a squad of this size we can't name seven substitutes, so in view of Ben Turner's comments it suggests there are some players putting in so little effort that the manager doesn't want to give them even a place on the bench. You look towards the likes of Matt Tootle and Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain and wonder why they aren't capable of being a substitute at least.

If players like that have gone off in a huff, then good riddance to them. Irrespective of whether they think they're being given a fair chance or not, their responsibilities as professional footballers remain the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    My thoughts are that every member of the squad is a paid professional footballer and should be giving their all to training, whether they are currently in the manager's plans or not.

It does seem odd that with a squad of this size we can't name seven substitutes, so in view of Ben Turner's comments it suggests there are some players putting in so little effort that the manager doesn't want to give them even a place on the bench. You look towards the likes of Matt Tootle and Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain and wonder why they aren't capable of being a substitute at least.

If players like that have gone off in a huff, then good riddance to them. Irrespective of whether they think they're being given a fair chance or not, their responsibilities as professional footballers remain the same.
    The 2 you mention are from last seasons squad. 'Nuff said. Unless there is a mega injury crisis, neither will play for 'Notts again, and frankly that's perhaps a shame from a Tootle perspective but at the end of the day so what. We are doing fine without them. they are yesterdays news and I do hope they find another club and do well. Aurevior.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    The 2 you mention are from last seasons squad. 'Nuff said. Unless there is a mega injury crisis, neither will play for 'Notts again, and frankly that's perhaps a shame from a Tootle perspective but at the end of the day so what. We are doing fine without them. they are yesterdays news and I do hope they find another club and do well. Aurevior.
    Whilst I don't always agree with his selections and I would like to see players like Bird and Crawford being given more chances, Neal Ardley doesn't strike me as a vindictive manager who would simply take a dislike to certain players and refuse to play them irrespective of their ability and attitude. If Ardley views a player or players as being completely unselectable, then it's highly likely to be a consequence of those players' actions and attitude, in which case they are fools to themselves and their careers will probably end up going nowhere, deservedly so.
    Last edited by jackal2; 13-11-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Whilst I don't always agree with his selections and I would like to see players like Bird and Crawford being given more chances, Neal Ardley doesn't strike me as a vindictive manager who would simply take a dislike to certain players and refuse to play them irrespective of their ability and attitude. If Ardley views a player or players as being completely unselectable, then in my view it's highly likely to be a consequence of those players' actions and attitude, in which case they are fools to themselves and their careers will probably end up going nowhere, and deservedly so.
    The problem remains that they or anybody else could be disruptive for the rest of the squad.

Are Fitzsimmons and Crawford still at the lane?

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    The problem remains that they or anybody else could be disruptive for the rest of the squad.

Are Fitzsimmons and Crawford still at the lane?
    Yes, as far as I'm aware.

Tom Crawford I think has the best case of anyone to say he should have been given more chance to show what he can do, otherwise will he just prove to be another of those mythical "ones for the future" who draw wages for two years and contribute nothing to the first team? Either the previous managerial regime did some really poor scouting, or the current regime need to at least give the player a chance to show what he's got in a matchday scenario, but either way the player's attitude in training should remain completely professional.

I would be very disappointed if Ross Fitzsimons isn't training properly, because if anything happens to Sam Slocombe he needs to be fit and ready to go. I think he was often unfairly scapegoated for the failings of our entire defence last season, but once again, sitting around sulking about it won't do him any good, and I would hope that's not the case.

I agree with what Turner is saying but it is easy for him to say that as he is being selected, if you didn't think you were being treated the same as others it doesn't matter what line of work you are in you won't be happy so it makes no odds if you are a footballer or a brickie everyone is human & has feelings.

There could be other reasons some aren't being selected like a bonus, appearance fees etc.

I think the two players named above Ox/Tootle will be gone in Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    I agree with what Turner is saying but it is easy for him to say that as he is being selected, if you didn't think you were being treated the same as others it doesn't matter what line of work you are in you won't be happy so it makes no odds if you are a footballer or a brickie everyone is human & has feelings.
    Very true, there are people who are happy or unhappy with their lot in every line of work, but if you're drawing a wage then you should remain professional in your approach. If you can't do that, then stop drawing the wage and clear off somewhere else. Taking the money and not giving your best is unacceptable.

Ardley has managed with 5 on the bench in all of the NL games, so maybe he thought that there was no point bringing anyone else into the squad as they wouldn't get in ahead of those already there. Every fit or eligible midfielder was already in the squad, leaving just defenders and forwards with little match fitness left out.

I think with the FA Cup, he didn't want them cup tied making them more attractive to league clubs in January?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast