+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Condor Airlines

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    I remember when you at least made an effort with debate, what's with this lowest common denominator level stuff.
    John2, well said. I have also been alarmed at the decline of gm_gm in recent months from a decent, balanced poster to a Grist clone. His statement here is rubbish; I can only assume Brexit has sent him bonkers.

Exile. On another thread (if I remember correctly) you asked why the government rescued the banks but did not make a loan British Steel to save steel workers jobs. I meant to answer at the time.

The banks were saved to secure its customers money and not to rescue the jobs of bankers. Key difference.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Thomas Cook wanted the government to give them a £200m loan, to exerrt pressure upon other lenders (for which read, RBS) to participate in loaning them a further £900 million and to underwrite those further loans.

The government was right to say no. Thomas Cook was simply not viable. It was sitting on a massive and rapidly growing £1.7bn of debt. Accepting the company's request would have simply created an open ended commitment to prop up a lame duck that had no prospect of turning it's fortunes around. It would also have set a precedent for other poorly run and non-viable companies in the future.

Thomas Cook got into trouble by expanding far too rapidly and aggressively and not adapting to changing market demands.
    Agree Kerr. And TC were in trouble previously.

Looks like Condor is a profitable business with short term liquidity issues (caused to some degree by the parent co folding owing them money).

A big consideration the EU seemed to make was towards its passengers.

I notice British Steel has attracted some interest from a China company.

Am I right in thinking this thread is about our steel workers, our government and the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Am I right in thinking this thread is about our steel workers, our government and the EU?
    And about Thomas Cook bosses walking away with Millions.
    How not to run a company.

Jingye are the Chinese company saving the steelworkers jobs, better than being made redundant just before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    I remember when you at least made an effort with debate, what's with this lowest common denominator level stuff.
    It happens to be my view John and it certainly isnt the lowest common denominator, its a serious issue that afflicts EU

The economic argument is just as strong as the political and democratic one

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    It happens to be my view John and it certainly isnt the lowest common denominator, its a serious issue that afflicts EU

The economic argument is just as strong as the political and democratic one
    Sorry gm, I honestly thought you were being jocularly ironic with the "owners of the EU" jibe. And your view that "The economic argument is just as strong as the political and democratic one" is simply oddball.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Sorry gm, I honestly thought you were being jocularly ironic with the "owners of the EU" jibe. And your view that "The economic argument is just as strong as the political and democratic one" is simply oddball.
    Your view is equally important to you Wendun but the economic forecast (happy to share) fair well after Brexit in comparison with G7 and EU countries

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Your view is equally important to you Wendun but the economic forecast (happy to share) fair well after Brexit in comparison with G7 and EU countries
    What I object to, gm, is your certainty. There's no nuance, no debate, no areas where membership of the EU might be beneficial, no dangers in the economics of your Brave New World. It's tosh; the kind of certainty based on intuition rather than evidence which has marched many civilisations to the bunker. Meanwhile, as politicians posture the real threats come upon us.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast