+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities

Having a drink in my Mansfield local last Friday and heard a local Joiner describing where he had worked through the week.

I spent a few days in Newcastle two weeks ago,a lovely city with beautiful buildings and great bars and night life he said.
    This week I was working in Sunderland and I couldn't believe it as it is only thir**** miles away.
    Every time I left the bar for a smoke outside somebody tapped me for a fag or money for a drink he said.

I struggle to describe Sunderland said the chippy,a woman at the bar said a sh ithole,that's it he said.

The bloke standing next to me said why are you smirking.

ha love it and so true

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    Having a drink in my Mansfield local last Friday and heard a local Joiner describing where he had worked through the week.

I spent a few days in Newcastle two weeks ago,a lovely city with beautiful buildings and great bars and night life he said.
    This week I was working in Sunderland and I couldn't believe it as it is only thir**** miles away.
    Every time I left the bar for a smoke outside somebody tapped me for a fag or money for a drink he said.

I struggle to describe Sunderland said the chippy,a woman at the bar said a sh ithole,that's it he said.

The bloke standing next to me said why are you smirking.
    You couldn't stop smirking if you have heard all of the stories and had all of the experiences most of us have had over the years.

There's no getting away from it...as city centres go it's a canny grim place. All 'banter' aside, most mackems would admit that if they were being honest, you'd think?)

(apart from the building the Winter Gardens is in because that's really nice)

There's no banter at work anymore... they are so low.

Most of them are canny lads, but they have thrown the towel in... add to that my stance on the toon at the minute and football crack is the quietest it has been in my 31yr of working "over there"

As for the state of the cities..
    I find it quite sad, because as an apprentice at Sunderland college I often drank in the bars of Sunderland and the two cities were not dissimilar other than newcadtle being bigger and grander.

Most the mackems I know, now head to Newcastle or Durham for a night out, as sunderland is a sad shadow of its former self.

But.... despite my two previous posts..

I still LALAS with gusto

RTG .... Newcastle is a **** hole

RTG .... Ideas for good restaurants? Newcastle.

Mackems !

My friend went up a few months ago and he said he couldn't believe the difference between the two.

His words were "sunderland was just grim, never been so happy to leave a place"

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)