+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wednesdays in trouble.

Think Brighton put the spanner in the works here.
    Points off inevitable.

With my limited reading of it it seems SWFC breeched the fair play rules in the three years ended 2017/18. They realised too late that if someone bought the stadium at what was a huge capital gain that gain could be used to offset the trading losses they had incurred. (The club uses the tax losses in the year of sale to offset against the gain to reduce the tax payable). It seems wrong to me that clubs can use capital gains to offset breeches of the fair play rules but there we are.

The problem seems to be that SWFC contracted for the sale of Hillsborough in 2018/19, a year too late. But it seems they brought the gain into the year before which seems to be a serious case of false accounting.

It is a serious matter to breech any sort of financial rules and penalties will follow. But when there is concealement as well, like this, the penalties are far worse.

Then you have the even more serious matter of false accounting by the directors which can result in jail terms and they will have to face enquiries from the tax office as to why they offset 2017/18 tax losses which were not available to use against what in reality was a 2018/19 gain.

I'm only making assumptions at the moment but if I am right our good friends in S6 have very serious problems which will rumble on for a very long time.

Worse than Brum do you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Worse than Brum do you reckon?
    Very much so Roly.

As another matter of interest I read this morning that the Glasgow Rangers liquidators have won their appeal against the severity of the penalty imposed against Rangers for illegal tax avoidance. If the new lower penalty had been imposed at the the time Rangers wouldn't have gone bust and been thrown out of the Scottish League. HMRC are likely to be sued for damages.

Interesting because piggy fans are convinced it will just be a 10 point deduction like Brum which they say they can live with.Relegation anyone?

£60m stadium is a “massive” valuation for a pig sty.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    A bit fishy though
    It'll be even more fishy when the next set of accounts come out and show that they have sold the ground again. Even the EFL might spot that one, but maybe not

This will come back to bite a club in the arse. Especially one with a foreign owner.
    Eventually a club will sell a club to it’s owner and when it goes tits up the owner will take his ball home and leave the club and tell them they’re not having their ground back or they’ll have to pay huge rent to play there.

Chansiri is a ruthless billionaire. He has the potential to be off like a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    It'll be even more fishy when the next set of accounts come out and show that they have sold the ground again. Even the EFL might spot that one, but maybe not
    Yes, but there's the point.

Inflated price for ground.
    Sale registered with Land Registry in a different year to the account year they declared it in
    Money not actually paid in one financial year but spread over a number of years (up to 2022 I think) but full amount was declared in the year SWFC needed to show a profit.

ALLEGEDLY

Heard a rumour today pigs to get a 21 point deduction. Nowt official and don't know how true it is but the source dunt normally tell porkies (forgive the pun)...if true, that would put em bottom 10 points adrift of safety...nice...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast