+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Always Pickford?

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Phook me Norder,you are dafter than me and that takes some doing.. Lol
    Agree with you there Alfie boy!

jeesh, enough of the compliments guys !.... is bringing out me twitch.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Simply because Pickford is the best keeper. And Popeye is third choice keeper.
    Yes. Pickford is arguably the best keeper and undoubtedly is Southgate’s number one pick. I would have thought a shrewd manager would have tested out his squad options in this key position. Stones Winks and Mount are hardly rock solid first choices but all got starts. Why not test out Pope and Henderson in internationals even if they only come on as subs to gain experience?

I'm not quite sure why Gareth is getting so much flak in general, imo he's doing a fairly good job, I still wake up in a cold sweat occasionally thinking about Woy and the Iceland game, I'm more than happy with what he's done with England so far. On the other hand I agree with Outwood, Pickford is our best keeper, he's never let us down, but he can lose form, he can get injured, so why Gareth doesn't give Pope a game I've no idea. It just seems the sensible thing to do now, and Gareth seems eminently sensible to me, so just do it man.

When we took to the field against Montenegro we were coming off the back of the defeat against Bulgaria and still needed one point in order to ensure qualification. In view of Gareth axing Sterling I feel sure that he would be wanting to field what he thought was his strongest team in order to get the win because, if we had not won the game, the criticism for leaving Sterling out would have been in mega proportions. He gambled with the Sterling episode, however, he played safe with the rest of the team. We win 7-0 and yet there are still fans who have a go!

It will be interesting to see whether or not he experiments tomorrow in Kosovo. Remember that it is HIS job that is always on the line and the media are very quick to stir up emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

jeesh, enough of the compliments guys !.... is bringing out me twitch.

Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    When we took to the field against Montenegro we were coming off the back of the defeat against Bulgaria and still needed one point in order to ensure qualification. In view of Gareth axing Sterling I feel sure that he would be wanting to field what he thought was his strongest team in order to get the win because, if we had not won the game, the criticism for leaving Sterling out would have been in mega proportions. He gambled with the Sterling episode, however, he played safe with the rest of the team. We win 7-0 and yet there are still fans who have a go!

It will be interesting to see whether or not he experiments tomorrow in Kosovo. Remember that it is HIS job that is always on the line and the media are very quick to stir up emotions.
    We beat Bulgaria 6-0, so I'm a bit confused exactly what point you are trying to make Supersub6?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We beat Bulgaria 6-0, so I'm a bit confused exactly what point you are trying to make Supersub6?
    BT ---I was just going off memory clouded by a great night with the Northumberland Referees' Association last night! Of course it was the Czech Republic who beat us and that is more relevant to my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    BT ---I was just going off memory clouded by a great night with the Northumberland Referees' Association last night! Of course it was the Czech Republic who beat us and that is more relevant to my point.
    Being a victim of the Pissed Up Apache Syndrome explains everything Supersub6.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Being a victim of the Pissed Up Apache Syndrome explains everything Supersub6.
    Too good a chance to miss with transport provided both ways! It was quite a long night with extra time being played and no interference with VAR. Some interesting tales from Martin Atkinson who was the chief guest. The head is just getting better!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)