+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Euro '20 Finals

The Euro '20 Finals

Well, we/England are there and its another summer footy tournament to look forward to. And hey lets face it, we were always going to win that qualifying group werent we ?. But theres too many awful teams playing in Intl qualifying groups these days and when these teams are getting battered by 7 or more, it does nobody any favours at all.
    What do we think then of this current Southgate led squad, and bear in mind next years Finals will have a real Euro '96 feel about it because England will be based at Wembley in the groups, and if we get there, the Semis and the Final itself will also be at our national stadium. Its coming home guys, in the year of twenty twenty.

Is that you 20/20 vision Acido?
    I'd like to think we'll make the semis at least with these young lads having a bit more experience by next summer.
    I think a lack of leaders and nastiness might leave us short.
    I feel I can get behind this lot more than last year.
    We've got rid of the 'spice boys' (Ali & Lingard) and Ashley Young. I just can't be doing with them.
    We also seem to have better options than Eric Dier now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodger1957 View Post
    Is that you 20/20 vision Acido?
    I'd like to think we'll make the semis at least with these young lads having a bit more experience by next summer.
    I think a lack of leaders and nastiness might leave us short.
    I feel I can get behind this lot more than last year.
    We've got rid of the 'spice boys' (Ali & Lingard) and Ashley Young. I just can't be doing with them.
    We also seem to have better options than Eric Dier now.
    Im being a bit sarcy there Hodger about 'its coming home'.
    (btw I hated that stuff last year when we were doing well in the World cup, all that kept doing was setting us up for another bigger fall!!).

We should indeed make the knockout stages next year, and then of course anything can happen. But there are some ridiculous rules this time as to where the teams could be playing, as these Finals are spread all over Europe for the first ever time. We might have a Last-16 round match in Denmark or Russia, and we might have a Qtr Final match in Rep Ireland or Holland etc... (Im not quite sure, and Im only guessing there at the moment).
    But if we can get to the massive stage of the Semi's at Wembley, then who knows eh ?.

A thought England had been drawn in the group of Death, v France v Portugal ? , or maybe it's predicted they could be ?

The lack of a quality centre back pairing and creative midfield player will catch up with England once we hit the quarter finals .

A semi final place is about the limit of my expectations .

The lack of a quality CB eh, that surely includes John Stones doesnt it ?.
    This kid hasnt stepped up to it like we all hoped he would, and Man City will be offloading him to Salford Fc soon (if hes lucky, lol).

Hey, we/England have the attacking and creative (midfield) options, but I fear for us at the back admittedly, and Im also not sure about Jordan Pickford as our long term keeper.

Going forward we are a threat but once quality opposition has nullified our threat or cut off the supply line we suddenly become lost in a game. A midfield general in the ilk of Paul Gascoigne needs to emerge and unless we produce a player like that then the quarters/semis are about our limit.

These qualifiers are nothing to gauge how good we are because the opposition is simply not up to scratch.

For those who get carried away by our goal glut in these qualifiers and think we are in with a chance I will say this- An average Czech side managed to comfortably nullify us and we had no answer. A reminder that these young lads have a long way to go before they can achieve a tournament victory and highlights that we are lacking something in a tactical and mental capacity.

Our inability to change how that game was going is clearly a problem that has seen us come a cropper under Southgate in certain games, notably the world cup semi final against Croatia.

I'm excited about certain aspects of our play dont get me wrong but deep down I know we are a midfielder and defender short. The majority of prats/prawn sandwich brigade who turn up at Wembley to boo or do a Mexican wave or throw paper aeroplanes or whatever ent gorra fecking clue abart football. They're more interested in confrontation, racism and controversy rather than what is happening on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Going forward we are a threat but once quality opposition has nullified our threat or cut off the supply line we suddenly become lost in a game. A midfield general in the ilk of Paul Gascoigne needs to emerge and unless we produce a player like that then the quarters/semis are about our limit.

These qualifiers are nothing to gauge how good we are because the opposition is simply not up to scratch.

For those who get carried away by our goal glut in these qualifiers and think we are in with a chance I will say this- An average Czech side managed to comfortably nullify us and we had no answer. A reminder that these young lads have a long way to go before they can achieve a tournament victory and highlights that we are lacking something in a tactical and mental capacity.

Our inability to change how that game was going is clearly a problem that has seen us come a cropper under Southgate in certain games, notably the world cup semi final against Croatia.

I'm excited about certain aspects of our play dont get me wrong but deep down I know we are a midfielder and defender short. The majority of prats/prawn sandwich brigade who turn up at Wembley to boo or do a Mexican wave or throw paper aeroplanes or whatever ent gorra fecking clue abart football. They're more interested in confrontation, racism and controversy rather than what is happening on the pitch.
    Aye we need better than Henderson, Dier, Delph, Mount and Rice in the engine room if we're to progress. I like the look of Winks but too light weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Aye we need better than Henderson, Dier, Delph, Mount and Rice in the engine room if we're to progress. I like the look of Winks but too light weight.

I think Ross Barkley has a big part to play Steve. There is clearly attacking talent there with this lad and an eye for goal.

Him and Henderson seems a good fit to me with Henderson sitting in breaking play up and Barkley doing his stuff gives our midfield balance.

In defence Maguire starts for me. Who plays along side him? It has to be Stones for me but he must start regularly for City and find his form from now till the end of the season. No disrespect to the other lads in that position but a fully fit and focused John Stones is far better than owt else on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I think Ross Barkley has a big part to play Steve. There is clearly attacking talent there with this lad and an eye for goal.

Him and Henderson seems a good fit to me with Henderson sitting in breaking play up and Barkley doing his stuff gives our midfield balance.

In defence Maguire starts for me. Who plays along side him? It has to be Stones for me but he must start regularly for City and find his form from now till the end of the season. No disrespect to the other lads in that position but a fully fit and focused John Stones is far better than owt else on offer.
    Forgot about Barkley mate. Good shout. Agree about the defence and the full backs seem to pick themselves.