+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scoreboard

Quote Originally Posted by MittPatt View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not as simple as the weather killing them off. After having worked on the scoreboard for two years previously, I wish it was just the weather. It's mainly based on the scoreboard being an old piece of hardware, combined with extremely old software. When we came to update the software, the hardware and software stopped talking to each other which was always a known risk. But we couldn't continue to use the old software as it was on an old PC that wasn't secure and also was so slow it would take 5 minutes to update anything such as a score etc. And after the original fault which was with a small part that had to be custom built in America and shipped over, that new part only communicated in a certain way with the software, hence everything failing.

As for it working for the Lionesses game, that was mainly down to about a week of solid work trying to get it to revert back to the old software and it worked for one day, and with a lot of issues and bodges. But that then failed as the attempts to fix for a longer period of time just couldn't be done and weren't working effectively. And the bodges we were using for Lionesses weren't sustainable at all.

I really hope they get a new one because the old one wasn't fit for purpose or sustainable. But after scoping prices for a new one or even just a time/score one that sits at the side of the pitch, I think it'll be some way off. Unless the owners are feeling particularly generous.
    Thank's for the clarification and update. Hopefully at some point we do get a working scoreboard, but I'm sure many fans including myself understand and appreciate that at the moment there must be bigger fish to fry for the new owners.

To be honest the only thing I miss from an electronic scoreboard is knowing at a glance how long we have left. Now I have to either pull me sleeve up or dig me phone out me pocket. Come on Notts, sort it out!

Out of interest, what sort of money would a scoreboard of a similar size and function cost?
    And I would assume that if we did get a new one then it ought to be a bit better to allow advertising etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    Out of interest, what sort of money would a scoreboard of a similar size and function cost?
    And I would assume that if we did get a new one then it ought to be a bit better to allow advertising etc.
    Similar size and functionality, you were looking at about £4,000 per matchday to hire one on the back of a van pitchside. Or roughly about £125,000 when you've considered installation, infrastructure, hardware, software and ongoing maintenance/updates in the current position it sits in on the stand.

I would be happy to go back to the old lettered scoreboard that was at the back of The Kop.

Someone could run this from one of the exec boxes and have a big digital clock so everyone can see the time elapsed - sorted! My consultancy invoice is in the post.

All you need to do is turn one of the exec box windows into a back projection screen and then use a normal video projector inside the exec box to project onto it. You could run it from a laptop in the exec box.

I like that idea Mapperleypie. It's something temporary at least.

Another idea might be to replicate what they've done at Minnesota United. Nostalgic and apparently a fraction of the cost of the digital ones to buy and maintain.

http://www.startribune.com/allianz-f.../?refresh=true

I'm not sure whether the attached image will work on here, but here goes:
    Name:  Mock Scoreboard Design (Meadow Lane).jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  14.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Three_Point_One_Four View Post

Another idea might be to replicate what they've done at Minnesota United. Nostalgic and apparently a fraction of the cost of the digital ones to buy and maintain.

That looks good to me pi, especially the scoreline.

Quote Originally Posted by Three_Point_One_Four View Post

Superb. All that dicking around from Hardy on twitter. He should have come on this message board - the scoreboard issue would have been fixed in no time.

SORT IT OUT NOTTS - FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by salmagundi View Post
    All you need to do is turn one of the exec box windows into a back projection screen and then use a normal video projector inside the exec box to project onto it. You could run it from a laptop in the exec box.
    A "normal video projector" will struggle to compete with the sun.

An old school scoreboard like that one suggested above would be a great temporary solution (or long term, I'm not too fussed but it is useful knowing how longs left at a glance)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast