+ Visit England Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have England always been overated.

Have England always been overated.

Has the expectancy continually put pressure on the team?

I am 64, i was 11 when we won the World Cup, i watched it in Austria of all places, half the hotel were English the other half German so it was a good atmosphere in the tV lounge.
    But that is the only trophy we have won and the only final we have been in.That is very poor for a country that invented the game.Even Greece have won the Euros.
    In my time following football England have only had a handful of what i would call truly world class players, and three were in that World Cup winning side. Banks, Moore and Charlton. We have hardly had any since, maybe Bryan Robson.
    We have had a lot of pretenders, Like Gascgoine, Rooney and now Kane, but true world class players do it against the worlds best when it matters, not in friendlies or against the likes of Jamaica, Saudi Arabia and Montenegro.
    Even before my time when we had the likes of Finney, Mathews, Wright, and Lofthouse, we never won anything and even the USA beat us. Hungary wiped the floor with us, 6 at Wembley and 7 in Budapest and they weren't good enough to win anything.
    Small countries like Holland and Belgium have produced many world class players so population doesn't come into it.
    Do our players, the media and us the fans think we are better than we really are?

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Has the expectancy continually put pressure on the team?

I am 64, i was 11 when we won the World Cup, i watched it in Austria of all places, half the hotel were English the other half German so it was a good atmosphere in the tV lounge.
    But that is the only trophy we have won and the only final we have been in.That is very poor for a country that invented the game.Even Greece have won the Euros.
    In my time following football England have only had a handful of what i would call truly world class players, and three were in that World Cup winning side. Banks, Moore and Charlton. We have hardly had any since, maybe Bryan Robson.
    We have had a lot of pretenders, Like Gascgoine, Rooney and now Kane, but true world class players do it against the worlds best when it matters, not in friendlies or against the likes of Jamaica, Saudi Arabia and Montenegro.
    Even before my time when we had the likes of Finney, Mathews, Wright, and Lofthouse, we never won anything and even the USA beat us. Hungary wiped the floor with us, 6 at Wembley and 7 in Budapest and they weren't good enough to win anything.
    Small countries like Holland and Belgium have produced many world class players so population doesn't come into it.
    Do our players, the media and us the fans think we are better than we really are?

For me we are overrated.. we've had great players but not the mentality . Like you say when we come up against a top team we don't know how to beat them . Look at Iceland they're no where near a too team we didn't have a clue how to get through them. If plan A doesn't work then nothing works . Theres never a plan B .
    Our defence is a total shambles at minute. It's lucky we've only played pub teams in these qualifiers .

I think to win the Euros we need at least three world class players in our side, but we don't seem to produce them anymore.
    Some say it's the influx of foreign players that have caused it but we didn't produce many before that.
    I think we have kids who are potentially good enough it has to be down to how they are coached from an early age.
    I have watched kids weekend teams and the managers are trying to instill formations and offside traps into their heads, these kids are about 10.
    In places like Brazil kids are encouraged to play with the ball, no tactics, they only come if they are lucky enough to to be scouted by a club.
    You can teach tactics all you like, but up against a Pele, a Maradona or a Cruyf it counts for nothing, weeks of training are undone in a moment of genius.
    We never seem to learn the lesson.

Pretty much yes, is the answer to the question. However, we have suffered some bad luck over the years. 1970 had Banks played against Germany and Charlton not been substituted we would have given that superb Brazilian team a game in the final.

1986 Hand of god -say no more.

1990 losing to Germany on penalties was a very tight game that we played very well in.

Keep the faith we will win the European Championships next year!!

Remember West Ham won the World Cup for you.
    Hence 1966 on my username

I think it could help if the media (above all the tabloids) stopped «*bigging*» up players as «*world class «*«*wonder kids*» etc etc before they have actually won something.
    WBA makes a good point about the number of truly world class players produced by smaller countries such as Holland and Belgium.I have lived in France for well over 40 years and I have lost count of the number of world class players that France has produced....Platini,Zidane,Henry,Desailly,Ginola,C antona,Vieira and now Mbappé and there have been many more too many to mention. Considering they were all nurtured in a so called «*Farmer’s League*» the French must be doing something right!

For me we have been overrated for many years, and generally so nowadays by both Media and Southgate, Southgate having said that we must build on the success of the last World Cup, And here is me thinking what success is he talking about as we never beat anyone of any note, played Well below par for the majority of the competition and even gave leads away to teams we should have dismissed.

Not really been a Fan even before the Beckham Brand was constantly played for the lucrative £ for the powers that be, instead of blooding possible players coming through the ranks.

This time round we have the advantage of playing games at Wembly, even the final is held there. It is maybe the best chance of winning it. Are they overated ? some are but others deserve a place at the top table. I watched Kane play down the Den and I could see that he had that special touch of putting the ball in the net.

We beat Kosova 4 - 0 and the pundits are being critical. There lies the problem .... over scrutinised pacing too much pressure on the over priced prima donas. But its' not their fault they are over payed is it.

Brazil / Argies have been over rated more so for many years now since they were to be rated.

We are up there with the best and like claw said - home advantage. But most of all it has to be enjoyed

Quote Originally Posted by gaz1959 View Post
    We beat Kosova 4 - 0 and the pundits are being critical. There lies the problem .... over scrutinised pacing too much pressure on the over priced prima donas. But its' not their fault they are over payed is it.

Brazil / Argies have been over rated more so for many years now since they were to be rated.

We are up there with the best and like claw said - home advantage. But most of all it has to be enjoyed

We had home advantage in 1996 and that imo was the best team we have produced for some time. I think we all expected to win it, myself included, but we again hadn't the confidence or ability with the spot kicks.
    That is probably the most gutted i have been with England.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast