Has the expectancy continually put pressure on the team?

I am 64, i was 11 when we won the World Cup, i watched it in Austria of all places, half the hotel were English the other half German so it was a good atmosphere in the tV lounge.
But that is the only trophy we have won and the only final we have been in.That is very poor for a country that invented the game.Even Greece have won the Euros.
In my time following football England have only had a handful of what i would call truly world class players, and three were in that World Cup winning side. Banks, Moore and Charlton. We have hardly had any since, maybe Bryan Robson.
We have had a lot of pretenders, Like Gascgoine, Rooney and now Kane, but true world class players do it against the worlds best when it matters, not in friendlies or against the likes of Jamaica, Saudi Arabia and Montenegro.
Even before my time when we had the likes of Finney, Mathews, Wright, and Lofthouse, we never won anything and even the USA beat us. Hungary wiped the floor with us, 6 at Wembley and 7 in Budapest and they weren't good enough to win anything.
Small countries like Holland and Belgium have produced many world class players so population doesn't come into it.
Do our players, the media and us the fans think we are better than we really are?