+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Turners influence this season

Ben Turners influence this season

Personally I think his signature has had an incredible influence on the team and the club. It was a statement of intent by the club when we convinced him to sign. He was playing in the prem just 5 years ago. He has been massive for us in everyway really. Think its ***** we keep him fit and I would excuse him from inclusion in any FA vase games.
    His interviews this last few weeks have shown him to be a very intelligent guy who is up for the fight. Finally I simply cannot understand how Ben is not captain of the side when Doyle is not playing and can only assume Mitch was given the vice skips job before all the new signatures came in. But it does look a bit strange to me as Ben seems to be in control of his back 4 and barks orders out all over the field during all the games hes played in.

I totally agree. I posted similar sentiments on one of the recent match threads.

Ben Turner is the dominant centre-half we've been seeking for most of the past decade. Not since Graeme Lee have we had a central defender of his type. Shaun Brisley looked promising in his early days but faded badly.

Unfortunately, centre-halves with Ben's commanding influence tend to nearer the end of their careers rather than the start, because it's a position that truly is learned and tends to be mastered at a later age thanks to years of experience reading the game and learning how to be in the right place at the right time. Then again, if Ben was 25 rather than 31, he wouldn't be staying at Notts county very long, so maybe his age works to our advantage.

Best CB in the league and possibly League 2. Absolute beast. I reckon we can get 4 more good years out of him as pace has never been his game.

Agree with all so far, absolute class CB for this level, just hope we can keep him fit!

Even today in what was a poor defensive performance from the team, I thought Ben Turner was one of maybe only two players to make a decent contribution. He made some important interceptions otherwise the score could have been worse!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Even today in what was a poor defensive performance from the team, I thought Ben Turner was one of maybe only two players to make a decent contribution. He made some important interceptions otherwise the score could have been worse!
    Turner was poor today, the first bad game I've seen him have. He never got close to their forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Turner was poor today, the first bad game I've seen him have. He never got close to their forwards.
    Who did.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Well, he was playing in front of me for most of the second half and I saw him make numerous interceptions and challenges that prevented things being worse. Don't get me wrong, no defender (or midfielder) can claim to have had a good game when you've shipped three goals, but I still thought Turner was better than the other three defenders and the midfield, who were overrun.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Well, he was playing in front of me for most of the second half and I saw him make numerous interceptions and challenges that prevented things being worse. Don't get me wrong, no defender (or midfielder) can claim to have had a good game when you've shipped three goals, but I still thought Turner was better than the other three defenders and the midfield, who were overrun.
    Are you Sam Slocombe jackal?

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Are you Sam Slocombe jackal?
    Dammit I said too much!

Actually I was in the Pavis Stand and it just seemed he was making his challenges on our side of the pitch a lot of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast