+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Earliest Toon memory

Earliest Toon memory

I've a vague recollection of the '74 FA Cup final....and the inevitable crushing disappointment and feelings of inadequacy which have been a feature of my NUFC supporting life ever since . I remember sitting on the concrete barriers in the Gallowgate and watching the peanut seller hoy bags at folk. I remember the odd loony climbing the Gallowgate floodlight and wondering what would happen to the people underneath if he fell. . I can picture the red glow as other nutters lit a fire in the Leazes End opposite...ffs! ....scarves being held aloft as we sang Walk on....drawing the bukta logo in my books at school...waiting outside and going in for the last 20 minutes with me Dad because we couldn't afford to go (not a sob story, btw)...

Over to you...

(and fuck off with thinking this thread needs the Hovis ad music!! )
    Last edited by Zippity; 16-11-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: still got climbing fingers

AND!!!!!....the music from The Big Match...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFi_7yd1vs

The 74 cup final was also a major memory for me.
    Many stand out memories was the west ham match. I was in the gallowgate when the West Ham fans were petrol bombed.
    I was also in the leazes end the following home match against West Ham when any amount of fans were getting arrested/thrown out at will for singing , he's only a poor little hammer, his clothes are all tattered and torn, he came for a fight so we *** *** ****** and now he won't come any more. I'm sure people can understand what that was about.
    It wasn't tolerated and the police swooped in, dragging loads of lads out.

I was in the gallowgate when Ian Rush scored against us for Chester in the cup. They won 2-0 after I'd been porediting 6-0 to us.

I can certainly remember scrounging a fiver up every home game and it got me the train or X5 to Newcastle and train back. My footy program 25p mince pie and chips from Greggs and my money into the ground which was either £2.50 or £3.00.
    I wish it was still a fiver to do all that now.

I was in the gallowgate when the border collie ran on the pitch just before Terry Hibbitt was about to take the free kick. Peter Withe made a diving tackle to get the dog but missed I think.
    Anyway the resulting free kick led to a goal.

Many good early memories.

I remember my dad going to Wembley in 76 for the league cup final v city...

I had no idea if they had won or lost he was that pished when he came home....

I was 4½

Remember older lads at school talking about Robledo and Milburn,my dad going to Wembley and losing the present on the train.

Watching part of the 1955 final in a shop window.

Seeing Len White score from beside the corner flag against Wolves in a 3rd round cup match.

Supermacs debut hat trick against Liberpool.

Went to the FA cup final against Man U at the old Wembley and me and a mate were staying in a hotel near the post office tower which was full of elderly blue rinse Americans.
    On the day of the match my came downstairs to the reception dressed in a black and white kilt, black and white shirt and his face black and white. He shouted at the top of his voice "lets get ready to rumble'. People got the fright of the lives and ten minutes later all the yanks were outside with him getting their photos with him.
    Mint day except for getting beat 2-0

My first memory was of me and my brother in 1955 having black and white rosettes pinned on us and being taken down to the Central Station to see the team bring the FA Cup back.
    We were heartbroken that they came out in blazers and flannels and not in their football strips!
    The first of many disappointments over the years.

My first ever match was when my uncle took us to see the lads play a Manchester United team which included a very young promising lad called Bobby Charlton.

My uncle always stood with his mates at the back of the standing section of the old Paddock (what is now the Milburn Stand).
    So he just asked everybody to "pass the bairns doon the front" and over the heads we went until we were sitting on the cinders next to the touchline.
    I seem to remember that as a 1-1 draw with Charlton scoring, but that's pretty blurry.

I well remember the peanut seller. "Tanner a bag".
    (Sorry - went into Ron Manager mode there).
    We would hoy the sixpences down from the Leazes terraces and he would hoy the cone-shaped bags back.
    Never missed.
    Now that should have been an Olympic sport!
    In those days the "catering" consisted of him and the Dickmans Pie kiosk on the Popular Terrace.

And the Gents at the Leazes End had no roof.
    Of course, there was no such thing as a Ladies.

Then there was the old gadgee who walked round the pitch in his black and white suit before the game.
    He brought his Manchester United oppo with him one game.
    Silly sod stood in front of the Leazes flinging his arms out and was met with a hail of peanuts and pies.
    Had to swiftly put up his umbrella and leg it.

No jumpers for goalposts though.

Imagine your 1st toon memory involving Fat Ash .

Quote Originally Posted by stavtoon View Post
    Imagine your 1st toon memory involving Fat Ash .
    God forbid.

Mine was our first game after the war in 1946. I was in short trousers and taken there by my late Uncle Arthur Gallagher whose nickname from schooldays till the day he died was Hughie.

It was a friendly against Middlesbrough which we won I think 2-1 or 3-1. And it was before the League commenced as we were in the old 2nd div then.

I was open eyed with wonder as it seemed to me that the whole world was there but on checking years later the gate was in the region of 36,000 but good for a friendly.

When the league football recommenced Uncle Arthur used to take myself and late cousin Raymond to games and us youngsters used to be rushing up Strawberry Lane with Arthur calling to us "Slow down lads they won't start until I get there"

His two daughters and their husbands are still staunch ticket holders.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)