+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Hunt or Mbulu or both?

Question Hunt or Mbulu or both?

So, seemingly Hunt's worst game for a long time and Mbulu didn't live up to the 'heading fridges' billing. However, Eddie Nolan is back now so at least one of them has to go. I'm not sure that Morecambe play anything similar to Northampton and most of their options (Miller, Leitch-Smith, Alessandra - don't know about Stockton - just found out he's 6'1") are shortish. Therefore, probably best to stick with Hunt and Nolan for the least disruption. However, it might be an idea to put Perry there for this game and play the young right back.
    However, it's going forward where things need to re-boot. Porter, despite having 10 so far still seems to be taking an extra unnecessary touch that loses him chances. Dale comes on his wrong foot and as little accuracy. Despite his obvious potential Charlie does not go looking for the ball or, crucially, does not take people on in the box. I've said it before, him, Lowery, Dale and Ainley should all be told to drive into the box with the ball at their feet, not looking for a penalty but raising the possibility of one occurring if we don't go on to score.
    What's happened to Green? He's still 100% effort but seems to be having less influence. What's to become of Jonah- has his career with the Alex started a downward spiral? He's half the player he used to be. It's also 2 seasons since our fullbacks were regular goalscorers (though they did play in midfield a lot that season).
    Finally, is Chuma wasting his time with us? 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there, nothing other times. Sometimes in his preferred position, often not. What's to happen?

Reading that back, I see it became a bit of a ramble from my original point. I also recognise that it could be construed as a moany reaction to a poor day at Northampton. However, though generally an Alex pessimist, I do feel we'll still be right up there at the end of the season.

So, a lot to think about. Any reactions/thoughts/suggestions/involvement in discussion?

Re Porter.
    I'm a big fan, but, I think it's an age thing. He's so often 'nearly there' 'nearly on the end of a cross'. nearly.......etc etc. It's looks unlucky the first few times you see it/it happens, but once you notice it, it's so obvious.
    And, theanks to Gazan for keeping this dying forum, if not alive, Luke warm.

Interesting points, gazan. I’ll try and give my opinions on them!

I think Green is beginning to show his age, maybe? An all action player like him is bound to feel it if he plays a lot of games and I think that’s happening a bit. To me he has always been slow off the mark in the first 10 minutes then grows into the game (the reverse of Lowery) but I reckon he’s still pretty game at 36. The same criticism could be made of Ports at 35; when we break from defensive positions he can’t keep up (although I don’t think that’s purely down to age) but I still think he does more than score and his lay offs from feet to runners are pretty fine - can Chuma do that! Who knows, but I agree it’s time to find out by giving him more than the odd 10 minutes; if we are 3 up at H/T next week get him on!

Age is a bit of a theme when we look at the CBs too. I’d have thought Mbulu would have suited a big ‘knock it in the box’ side like Northampton, but apparently not. I’d revert to Nolan and Hunt but I agree with you that Perry and Nolan would be worth a look against the Morecambe front line - nothing too threatening for the young FBs either, until Ellison comes on and towers above them!

I would be tempted to rest Kirk and remind him that there are two halves to a football pitch and he might like to go looking for the ball, as you suggest - might be the kick up the rear end he needs. Let’s face it, Ainley has barely had a look in this season and, on last years form, deserves a go. We have 4 wide men who each have different strengths and weaknesses and that’s a nice problem for the manager to have.

The only player neither of us has alluded to is Wintle - nailed on to start every match and player of the year so far.

Miller won't play next week - terms of his loan - so their make up may be a bit different, but either way bring back Eddie!

No doubts for me, definitely Hunt and Nolan at this moment. Unfortunately Lancashire is for some reason always injured. What I would like to see is Sass-Davies being regularly on subs bench and where appropiate given time in the team. For me he is the future.

But I feel that this is not the only problem in the team. The midfield I believe is creating an imbalance centrally. Green and Lowery are too similar in style and occupy the same space in the central area. We end up having no right sided midfielder, and the left side has too little space to function correctly. For me either Green or Lowery, not both. Take your choice. My midfield would be RM Wintle, CM Green or Lowery, LM Pickering. This I feel would create a better balanced and stronger midfield, plus more attacking options, Also a more mobile midfield far more suited to attacking play and supporting our wide men. For LB I would give the young lad his chance.

Can't really agree with your point about Lowery and Green.
    Green is a high energy box to box midfielder whereas Lowery is a skillful seeker and user of space who can keep the ball before picking out a good pass. Jonah is someone in between- good energy, strong and able to drive into the box with the ball. Wintle can also do the latter. Jonah also has good wide distribution (but sometimes prone to over- straight balls forward beyond the forwards)
    I think the current middle 3 are very complementary but as you have mentioned before, there are often times when we are over- stretched in midfield. What to do about that I don't know as a fourth midfielder would completely change our style of play/shape.