+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What would it take for Ardley to change his midfield?

What would it take for Ardley to change his midfield?

With Rose and Doyle both given the 90 again today, I’m genuinely struggling to see a scenario where either will ever come off, let alone not start. It is a ridiculous situation that’s costing us; all of Ardley’s subs feel very pre-planned, with 8/9 guaranteed a full game whatever the circumstances.

Doyle is 38. Our upturn in fortunes coincided with his four-match ban, and he still walked back in the side. He was absolutely awful in every aspect today. Even if he was playing well, the reliance on him is ridiculous. He clearly does not know his limitations but as manager Ardley should and not be afraid to adapt to a situation or, more bluntly, take off his captain when he’s having a f*cking stinker.

Rose has been poor all season and I’ve no idea why he’s playing deeper than last season, when he was actually quite effective as a box to box midfielder. Playing in front of the back four highlights his limitations on the ball. I’d be surprised if combined their pass completion was 50% today. What’s worse, they weren’t doing anything to protect us defensively either - which is surely the least you’d expect when they spend the game stood on our centre backs toes.

Ardley’s got a lot right this season, but until he grows a pair / learns to adapt to the circumstances of a game, we won’t make the playoffs while those two are guaranteed to play the 90 every single week.

Until O'Brien comes back Ardley thinks we have nobody else because he clearly doesn't think Crawford is even a footballer for some reason, despite him already having experience in this division, where he played well for a team that made the playoffs.

Rose came back from pre-season twice the size and half the player he was in League 2, presumably thought he needed to bulk up for a more physical league but all it's done has slow him down, at least once a game he gets caught in possession trying to back into a player and play his way out of trouble and failing to do so.

To answer the opening question, today's performance might be what it will take. It's asking too much of Doyle at his age to play in a two man midfield. To be fair, he's a darn sight fitter than most 38 year olds, especially when you consider that he plays every game, but if he's going to play - and that's a point to debate - he needs more help in there. Certainly more help than he's getting from Mitch Rose, who looks lacking in confidence at present.

What would it take for Ardley to change his midfield?

Well today we were 2 - 0 down, struggling to create, getting a little overrun in midfield with Doyle on a yellow card and having a pretty poor game. I think most of us believed one of Doyle or Rose should be replaced, I think none of us were surprised when Ardley chose not to.

The opposition bench were stressing to their players to pressure Doyle, would seem obvious with him vulnerable and it paid off with him giving the ball away a lot. Yes, we were sussed out.

Crawford must be a dreadful footballer eh. That's how Fylde made it into the play-offs last season with him at the heart of midfield.

Earthquake or Megatsunami.

More midfielders

Hopefully an 80% fit Jim O'Brien.

I've supported Ardley pretty robustly and still do but Rose has been playing badly for weeks now and Booty is the best passer of a ball of our available midfielders. Ardley is going to have to be brave as a manager and drop either Rose or Doyle for him. Four points from twelve and not looking convincing for a month.
    We've missed O'Brien but he's not making the most of what he has and one of the deep lying midfielders has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Hopefully an 80% fit Jim O'Brien.
    Hope you’re right as he’d definitely be the answer but Rose and Doyle were still playing 90 minutes when OB was fit. I fully expect him to come back in and play on the wing when he is fit, and other teams to cotton-on and press Doyle into mistakes in the same way Barrow did so well today.

With JOB injured, we don’t have many options in the middle of the park...

1. Move Booty inside at expense of Doyle or Rose, both of whom seem untouchable.
    2. Play Crawford, whose standing has only gone up thanks to a spell on loan at Fylde when he was in and out of their side (and definitely out by the end of the season). Produced nothing in a Notts shirt as of yet, although chances have been rare.

Am I missing someone other than playing someone out of position like Tootle (forgotten man) or Oxlade-Chamberlain (forgotten man 2)? We definitely need a positive-thinking player in there who’s looking to link up with the forwards.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast