+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sam Stanton

Appere should also try to stay on his feet more, some of the marginal fouls may have been given but the ease he went to ground for a big fells turns refs away.

His mannerisms are kinda between Big John Clark and Davie Dodds, but not as ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    If you’d seen him at Alloa you would have said he should never get another game - he was that bad. Agreed when he’s on it he adds a lot to the team but when he’s not playing well he tends to hide away somewhat and just doesn’t fancy it. Agreed was good yesterday and will have a part to play this season undoubtedly but in terms of where we hope to be next season he won’t be joining us for that particular journey I’m sorry to say.
    I am very loathe to say which players will be with us next season and which won't because some players do read fan sites and if a player is jettisoned before the season is even halfway through it could affect them. I'm sure some posters will disagree with that but it's just my opinion.

As to Stanton I'm not claiming he's Billy Baggio just saying that if you play him in an advanced position and get him running at defences around the 25-18 yard lines he's a much better player than when he's often been played in a more defensive role.

Quote Originally Posted by georgefoxposse1 View Post
    Appere should also try to stay on his feet more, some of the marginal fouls may have been given but the ease he went to ground for a big fells turns refs away.

His mannerisms are kinda between Big John Clark and Davie Dodds, but not as ugly.
    Was he playing in his baffies maybe

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I am very loathe to say which players will be with us next season and which won't because some players do read fan sites and if a player is jettisoned before the season is even halfway through it could affect them. I'm sure some posters will disagree with that but it's just my opinion.

As to Stanton I'm not claiming he's Billy Baggio just saying that if you play him in an advanced position and get him running at defences around the 25-18 yard lines he's a much better player than when he's often been played in a more defensive role.
    I agree. Not right to say who is in or out yet. Everyone has their chance.

Look at likes of Swansea and Bournemouth in England plenty of good pros at those clubs who came all the way up with them though the leagues.

It’s not just about talent but attitude and how you apply yourself.

Personally I don’t think there is such a gap between bottom of spl and us.

We have a smallish squad and all of them should with good reason think they can play in spl.

I agree as well that too early to be saying those that might not make it

His passing still lets him down far too often and he got a lucky break for the goal but he did finish it very well. He seemed to settle into a pretty decent game after that so it's probably a confidence thing. You can never question his work rate and effort though.

Yes he got a break for the goal, but he hadn't been pushing forward with a drive it wouldn't have happened, by driving forward even if theres a ricochet etc it can fall to a United player. Midfielders need to be confident enough to drive ahead (so should centre backs from time to time) as the system allows someone else to cover any hole they leave.

Apparently has been told he is free to leave in January along with Cammy Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    I agree. Not right to say who is in or out yet. Everyone has their chance.

Look at likes of Swansea and Bournemouth in England plenty of good pros at those clubs who came all the way up with them though the leagues.

It’s not just about talent but attitude and how you apply yourself.

Personally I don’t think there is such a gap between bottom of spl and us.

We have a smallish squad and all of them should with good reason think they can play in spl.

I agree as well that too early to be saying those that might not make it
    Interesting you say there's not much difference between the bottom of the SPL and us. While I agree with that the ambition from the Chairman is that we are to be top 6 and pushing on from there. So if we do go up I think there will be some serious quality getting added to the squad. Where I do think we're light for the league above is physicality. If you look at the likes of Hearts Hibs Livingston Hamilton and Ross County (who likely copied the Hamilton model), and St Mirren we need to adding players with physical strength to compliment ball players in order to be successful. I'm sure TA and the team are looking at that now.
    Meantime we as fans just need to get behind the team we have - which they are - and build to a successful end to the season as Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by duke_the_arab View Post
    Apparently has been told he is free to leave in January along with Cammy Smith.
    Feel for Cammy Smith. Came on the promise of a game but never been allowed a run in the team!

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    Feel for Cammy Smith. Came on the promise of a game but never been allowed a run in the team!
    Yeah exactly that. Makes you wonder if personalities have played a part there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)