+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian Harkes

Ian Harkes

On the one hand I was excited by him signing but on the other hand not sure how he would adapt to life in Scotland and a completely different style of game.
    Not seen him live yet and it's sometimes difficult watching tv to know if you're getting a true reflection of a players performance because you're not seeing much off the ball.
    I felt at times he didn't fancy the physical battle but you could see the skill was there.
    So my question is how much do you think he's improved since signing and is he more up for the physical side than he was at first? Suppose that's 2 questions..

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    2 questions..
    I liked his skill at first but he was too easily knocked off th ball.

A few weeks ago I was particularly disappointed with him.

However in the last two weeks and 5 out of 5 wins for United he has come on to a game.

McMullen, Appere and Harkes for me have made a big difference to the side.

Siegrist and Shankland of course have been consistently good.

So Harkes yes and yes to your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jam View Post
    I liked his skill at first but he was too easily knocked off th ball.

A few weeks ago I was particularly disappointed with him.

However in the last two weeks and 5 out of 5 wins for United he has come on to a game.

McMullen, Appere and Harkes for me have made a big difference to the side.

Siegrist and Shankland of course have been consistently good.

So Harkes yes and yes to your questions.
    Harkes is inconsistent but on his game is a good player. He needs to keep performance levels up at the level he's been last few games though. There have been a few times though ive thought "he's not up for this physical battle today".

One player I think hasn't received enough plaudits is Nicky Clark. Nielsons comments on him about him being a clever player and understands the game and what he brings to the team etc we are really starting to see. All the jigsaw pieces seem to be fitting together well just now with him back from injury supporting Shankland, Robson back at LB and Watson slotting into his natural position allowing Butcher to boss games in the middle and keeping bombscare Connolly out the team. Apperre in the team and looking like a total nightmare for the opposition, Mcmullen's pace, assists and goals. The front 4 is the best its been for years as it is right now be great if we could just keep it like that.

Nielson MUST leave it alone and not tinker unless he has too. Can tell he is dying to get Connolly back in though. He talks about up's and down's throughout the season but for me he is the one that will causes the downs with some poor team selections and tactics. Credit to him for building our team though and to our recent run of form you can see the hard work they have been putting in is paying off.

Always thought there was a player in Harkes, but i honestly think some have been caught up in the hype surrounding his signing and the family ties to the area. I maybe bought into the hype a bit as well, and that led to me becoming frustrated when he didnt meet my expectations. Towards the end of last season, he did show in flashes that he was improving, but i cant say he showed enough in every game.

This season, because he was injured to start with(might have been a factor last season?), i was willing to give him more of a chance, but since his 6-2 showing, i think he fell away to the extent he was a 1st half passenger v Partick(or was it Dunfermiline?).

At the weekend, i saw the Harkes i was expecting, but i cannot say he has improved in either department based on one game where everything came together. I do hope this subject is revisited at halfway plus 1 and he has had 5 games to be proud of!

If United are playing well Harkes plays well. If it is a battle he offers little.

Without a doubt, one of the two best central midfielders at the club. I think he's struggled a little when he's partnered by players that aren't as good as Butcher but when those two are together we are a very difficult team to play against. I also think it's remarkable how well he's settled in, given the enormous change of culture involved.

I'm aware not everyone agrees but he is quality, no doubt in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Without a doubt, one of the two best central midfielders at the club. I think he's struggled a little when he's partnered by players that aren't as good as Butcher but when those two are together we are a very difficult team to play against. I also think it's remarkable how well he's settled in, given the enormous change of culture involved.

I'm aware not everyone agrees but he is quality, no doubt in my mind.
    Agreed

When he gets his shooting sights/confidence on target he’ll add a few goals to his game too

Was my MOTM on Saturday

Easily the best man on the park on Saturday there, the more games he gets the better his consistency will become.

All in all, looks like a good, possibly great signing.

I thought he strolled the game on Saturday, a great performance and a big hand in making us tick.

Very good player who will go higher in the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)