+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Non-scoring fullbacks

Non-scoring fullbacks

As alluded to in another post, our fullbacks haven't scored for a long time. Go back 2 years and both of them racked up quite a few goals - although some of these were scored while both/either played as midfielders.
    Perry has tried very hard in early season without success, mainly because cutting inside onto his weaker foot hasn't quite provided power or accuracy.
    Pixie, on the other hand, is sometimes unwilling to shoot even though that may be the best option.
    Another change is decline in power/accuracy from free kicks, another source of goals for the pair 2 years ago.
    So, is it a problem? Could anything be done? Considering the wide distribution of scoring this season I'm sure they'd love to be on the scoresheet.
    Any thoughts?

Pixie scored a belter against Salford, of course, but I think we should also acknowledge that in the past few seasons we haven’t had a striker score as regularly as Porter at this stage of the season, nor 11 different scorers. I’m quite happy for the FBs to defend properly (and I don’t think they’ve had as much protection this time around), get forward when appropriate and chip in occasionally. According to the BBC website, Pixie has had 14 shots this season, 8 of them on target, less than a shot a game but the same number as Green and Wintle. No stats on Perry as he hasn’t scored...... yet.

Didn’t expect Steady Eddie to have more goals than the rest of the Back 4 combined mind you!
    Last edited by AstonAlex; 18-11-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Pixie's goal against Salford was while I was away so it hadn't registered with me. I am surprised that he had as many shots as Green as earlier in the season greenie was getting into shooting positions on a regular basis.
    Possibly my view about the fullbacks is that last season I had hoped that they would push on with their goal tallies when in actual fact the opposite happened.
    So, time for Perry to get one then. (And I suppose Green and Wintle need to up their goalscoring game&#128521

I can cope without Wintle scoring, to be honest, as long as he carries on as he is.