+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pound for pound, our best signing?

Pound for pound, our best signing?

Not necessarily the best NUFC signing but the one who represented the best deal given how much we paid for them and what we got out of them. I'll give you a few for starters but there are bound to be players I've left out who folk prefer (or I've forgotten!)

Gary Speed cost us £5,5 million and has become something of a legend for us.

Shearer...obviously he cost a world record fee at the time but nobody could argue it wasn't money incredibly well spent.

Rob Lee...cost £700, 000 but his contribution in our colours was priceless, imo.

Andy Cole...£1.75 million, sold for effectively 4 times that. never mind that 'all-round-better-player' shite when he went to manure, he was at his best as a striker with us. Lethal, he was.

Keegan...what was it, £100, 000....

I'm not even going to comment any further...it's Keegan, for me-partly just because of what he achieved with us as a player for those two seasons but also because it sowed the seeds for what was to follow.

Thoughts...

I agree with all of those but I'd add David Kelly in that just for scoring one of the most important goals in the clubs history
    And all for £250000

Yeah...great shout.

That's the goal i'd relive if I could.

The madness of it

Peter Beardsley .And a must mention and I know for a fact Kevin Keegan would mention him too,Brian kilcline .Steadied a sinking ship at its most holed time.

That's another great shout, Stav. £282, 000, he was.

In the Ashley era :| Sissoko has to be up there.

£1.5 million paid, key in our run to 5th (and relegation to be fair) and hten sold for stonking profit.

I think pound for pound, Rob Lee has to be right up there.
    I think in terms of price, the fact that he was a Londoner out of his comfort zone in a way and the fact that he stayed for 10 years, making 303 appearances for us.

There's a few good shouts among the posts.

I suppose the catalyst for Ron Lee's reason for being at the club was Kevin Keegan and considering what came off the back of his arrival as a player and then a manager first time around, you could argue a massive case for it actually being Keegan.

But then again you could argue a case for Shearer by weighing up the overall benefits against outlay.

But then again.....well, you get my gist.

We've definitely had some worthy players and the best way to gauge them for each individual is to understand which of them gave you your stand out moments/time as a fan.
    The older folk on here (older than me) may see players farther back that may stump all of what I remember clearly.

The younger one's have little to go on but there are some cracking pound for pound players in terms of cost and as Jammy mentioned; Sissoko is definitely one of those, as was Ginola in his time.

Look at Demba Ba.
    The list could be almost endless of people deserving a mention.

Keegan as player
    And then Keegan as manager

Quote Originally Posted by AP69 View Post
    I agree with all of those but I'd add David Kelly in that just for scoring one of the most important goals in the clubs history
    And all for £250000
    I must admit, Kelly and Peacock sprang to mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)