+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any news from the Morecambe Yeti?

Morning!

The views were so spectacular they just didn't look real. We had two options - go in November when it is colder but the views are crystal clear (in the event it only went cold once the sun went down) or in the Spring when it's warmer but hazier and at lower levels all the flowers are out. We had close up views of many of the highest mountains on earth including Ama Dablam, Lhotse, Nuptse and of course Everest. The mountains changed from brilliant white to a deep golden colour at sunrise and sunset which was incredible.
    We spent a couple od days actually walking on the Kumbhu glacier which falls down from Nuptse and is the main gateway to Everest. There are no climbing parties on Everest at this time of year (they go in the Spring) but there are plenty of trackers who spend time at the highest point of the trek - Gorak Shep. This is an area where you really are among the highest mountains with unbelievable views in all directions. We were around 18,000 feet at this point but apart from a low level headache and a lack of appetite I didn't have any altitude problems. The main thing is to drink loads of water and not to move too fast.Even at this altitude the day time temperatures were comfortable enough but it got bloody cold once the sun had gone down.
    Our "digs" were unheated tea houses and we got in our big sleeping bags as soon as we had our evening meal.
    The food was surprisingly good. Porridge and eggs for brecky and dal bhat (rice, lentils and veg) kept us fueled up.I got a taste for the chai (sweet milky tea).
    The Sherpas who live in the Everest region are wonderful people. Always cheerful, always very supportive and as strong as oxes.They love living in the mountains and just want to share everything with you. They kept us positive whenever we got knackered.
    The trek was harder than we imagined - due to altitude no doubt and a lack of sleep which we all suffered from.
    Me and Mrs 59-60 developed a bad cold which we are still trying to shake off - it is called the Khumba cough but we managed to keep going.
    Other highlights included the internal flights to Lukla, visiting a visit to Tengboche monastery where we say the monks chanting and seeing the only Yeti skull in the world. We visited an amazing hospital high up in the mountains, where , of course, the patients have to trek to to get treated.
    It is an area totally without roads - everything they need has to be carried in by sherpas or yaks. It's amazing how well the little settlements function.
    We also visited the Edmund Hilary School which was set up for the kids in the 60's. The pupils have to make long journeys to and from school on foot every day to attend.
    The long, high rope bridges across the valleys were very daunting at first (we had around ten to cross in each direction) including one that was around 1000 foot high and a quarter of a mile long. You just prayed that a yak convoy wouldn't come the other way. These bridges swayed dramatically, especially in the middle, but we managed to overcome our fears and get across.
    Kathmandu meant a mini bus ride of 8 hours on dreadful thin roads with dramatic drops down to the valley below.
    The city is just incredible and we loved it. Total chaos but we all felt very safe.

Yes, it seems like a dream now and I am looking forwards to a similar feeling when Jo takes charge in 16 days time.

We took hundreds of pictures and I'll shove them up once we get ourselves sorted out.

The sentence near the end spoiled a wonderfully descriptive recall of what sounds like an incredible experience.

Jo Swindle will be lucky to retain her own seat.

BT, when you have lived like we have for over two weeks you get a different perspective of what is really important.

Bugger Brexit, breakfast and base layers are all that matters!

Don't worry though, I'm sure I'll be back in the real world soon....

You started it!

Yes, it seems like a dream now and I am looking forwards to a similar feeling when Jo takes charge in 16 days time.

Welcome back!

Tongue in cheek BT!

I love you 1959_60!

Fantastic stuff 59/60.. Don't think I'd have had the balls to cross those rope bridges and I know certain my wife wouldn't have had.. Looking forward to the pics when you put them up mate..

Perhaps there could be 2 inches of snow in Morecambe, he will be finding that difficult to get up and about?Or maybe problems with breathing,big difference after his epic trip?

Afternoon all. I am ready to shove some Everest pictures up. Can someone advise me the best way to do it?

I used to use TinyPics but that has gone now.

Name:  Lukla flight.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  22.6 KBName:  Big Bridge.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  101.5 KBName:  IMG_1254.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  76.9 KB
    The first one is of our dodgy flight to Lukla.
    The second is one of the many rope bridges we had to cross
    the third is the first decent view of Everest

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)