+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Queens v Queen’s Park

Queens got what they deserved yesterday: Queens Park deserved to win and Queen of the South deserved to lose.

There was a negative arrogance about QOS yesterday, - almost "a too big to fail" attitude from some of our players, - and I mentioned at half time to one or two folk that their problem was exactly that. They should have gone into the game treating Queens Park as though they were Celtic or Rangers, rather than a team of amateurs.

Their first goal was excellent; a beautiful curving cross which invited the header that it received. Their second was laziness in our defence, and McCrorie should have either caught or punched the ball rather than let it drift right across his box. It was his failure in dealing with that harmless cross that led to the poke in to gift the Spiders a 2-0 advantage.

I couldn't believe Johnstone's reaction in substituting McCarthy (unless he was injured) because it meant that all our aces were used up, and there was no surprise attacking option in the second half which would have had a psychological advantage on QP. Furthermore, young McCarthy's confidence will be well and truly shot, - when he was not the only person responsible for all the mistakes.

Stephen Dobbie was lucky not to have been booked or even sent off. He must learn to deal with his petulance in speaking back to the referee. He was flagged offside after the ref had played advantage, but Dickinson quite rightly brought play back for the free kick to Queens, - whereupon Dobbie picked up the ball and ran back to the referee to give him a mouthful, - which in itself was a bookable offence. To then hurl the ball down in frustration (after that extraordinary example from our captain) should have met with a yellow card.

The second half was a virtual non event, with only Murray gaining pass marks for keeping going.

'Disappointing' is putting it mildly and the magic of the cup has been stolen from us by a pretty ordinary side who simply rolled up their sleeves and worked much harder than QOS. We did the same against ICT and got what we deserved, - absolutely nothing.

With 99 travelling fans and several more in the main stand that's a home crowd of about 950, - and unless or until Queens start rolling up their sleeves, treating all other teams with respect, as well as the referee, and giving 100% right until the final whistle (like young Murrray did yesterday with that wonderful strike) then we will struggle to see many more turn out.

It is up to Johnstone to motivate his team to get their finger out, and the players to avenge the embarrassment of being knocked out of the main cup competition by an amateur team by focussing their attention on the league. It's a big ask, but one that is possible with a never say die attitude.

Mon the South

Spot on Jardi with the exception of the criticism of Dobbie regarding the incident. The problem was the ref initially played advantage only to pull it back just as Dobbie got onto the clear, no wonder he was peeved but still he is the captain and therefore perhaps should show an example to the rest of the team. Our previous good results indicate that the talent is there but clearly was not focused on the job against Queens Park who are nothing more than decent where our big time Charlie's couldn't be bothered to match them. To me the management's role is to get the players motivated for these games and must take the responsibility for Queens Cup exit to lower league opposition.

Queen's Park got Kilmarnock at Rugby Park in the 4th Round draw.

A good post Jardi and very fair but I would take exception to you describing Queens Park as an amateur team in a manner that makes it sound like they're from an Amateur League who usually play on public parks. You are of course technically correct in that, at the moment, Queens Park are Amateur status, which is due to change soon, but they are partcipants in the SPFL and are run in a very professional manner as I'm sure you're well aware. Of course this doesn't lessen the disappointment of yesterday's result from a QoS perspective, but I think referring to them as a team of amateurs is slightly disparaging.

Of course Auld Chippy, I concur completely. I simply chose to use the term deliberately to add to the seriousness of the situation.

Let there be no mistake, the players have let the club and the supporters down and instead of enjoying a great day out to Rugby Park (I know, I know QOS would have been given a different number to Queens Park, - but let's be honest, - the chances are we would have been given the number that Queens Park got) we will be twiddling our thumbs wondering what might have been.

Spike, - you have hit the nail on the head with regards to Stephen Dobbie. He is a superbly talented player who must rein in his tendency to mouth off at the officials and instead do all the talking with his feet. He's already picked up at least a couple of yellow cards for talking back to the referee, - and he will only damage the team further when he is suspended.

Sir Stephen's body language does not look right but it must be soul destroying to play alongside some of Magic's signings who imo are bang average players. He is also not scoring goals and, in fact, Queens have the lowest goals for in the league - 13 in 14 games does
    not augur well for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Sir Stephen's body language does not look right but it must be soul destroying to play alongside some of Magic's signings who imo are bang average players. He is also not scoring goals and, in fact, Queens have the lowest goals for in the league - 13 in 14 games does
    not augur well for the future.

Was that Dobbie’s 250th appearance for Queens on Saturday?

That performance and result on Saturday was a complete and utter embarrassment. I’m no body language expert but something is not right at Palmerston and I’m beginning to think the appointment of AJ is a big mistake. There’s trouble ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_dumfries View Post
    Was that Dobbie’s 250th appearance for Queens on Saturday?
    It was indeed Sir Stephen's 250th Queens appearance with of course the 157 goals.

192 league appearances for Queens with 108 league goals.

His career totals are 459 league appearances with 158 league goals and 557 appearances and 224 goals.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)