+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Band Of Brothers.

CT Miller beat me to the punch on the enjoying Dunkirk, my dad was one of the thousands rescued during the retreat after which he saw action in North Africa then sustained a mortar shell injury in Northern Italy , that’s as much info I could ever get out of him. I’ve recently discovered that his CO ( York & Lancs) kept a diary and it is held at Rotherham museum , I’ve arranged to go and read it next time I’m in Rotherham

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    CT Miller beat me to the punch on the enjoying Dunkirk, my dad was one of the thousands rescued during the retreat after which he saw action in North Africa then sustained a mortar shell injury in Northern Italy , that’s as much info I could ever get out of him. I’ve recently discovered that his CO ( York & Lancs) kept a diary and it is held at Rotherham museum , I’ve arranged to go and read it next time I’m in Rotherham
    My uncle George was with the BEF as a member of 2nd battalion East Yorks this meant he was evacuated at Dunkirk. With the same unit he was at D-Day in 1944 but was killed in August 1944 just outside Caen. He was 24

We now know his name and details will be on the new Normandy Memorial they are building

https://www.normandymemorialtrust.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    My uncle George was with the BEF as a member of 2nd battalion East Yorks this meant he was evacuated at Dunkirk. With the same unit he was at D-Day in 1944 but was killed in August 1944 just outside Caen. He was 24

We now know his name and details will be on the new Normandy Memorial they are building

Truly a different breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post

Luckily my old fella survived his injuries, part of his upper arm and shoulder badly damaged , and a nasty face wound . He never knew who lifted him to the field hospital but the surgeon did a miraculous job on him before he had an early type of plastic surgery on his face back in the uk and the results were truly amazing. Never once did I hear him complain about his lot, and even survived throat cancer in his later years.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    When Trumpets Fade is a good WW2 film as well, about the Battle of the Bulge.
    It's an excellent film but it's not about the Battle of the Bulge. Sorry to be a pain but WTF concerns the battle for Hurtgen Forest, 19 Sept - 16 Dec 1944. The BOTB started on 16 Dec. On a separate note Dunkirk was such a pile of cr*p as a film. Absolute garbage.

Is that according to Google?
    or did you just happen to know it?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Is that according to Google?
    or did you just happen to know it?
    As some people know on here I have written on military history, I've had a Channel 4 Series on history wargaming, I own several hundred war movie dvds, I trade in military board wargames and military figures in 6mm, 10mm, 1/600, 1/4800 and 28 mm scales. So yes, I just happen to know it.

Well bully for you but you're still a pain as you were willing to accept

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    As some people know on here I have written on military history, I've had a Channel 4 Series on history wargaming, I own several hundred war movie dvds, I trade in military board wargames and military figures in 6mm, 10mm, 1/600, 1/4800 and 28 mm scales. So yes, I just happen to know it.
    You’re my new hero. Pulitzer is in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Who are these people who know
    They only know what you tell them on here or
    they know you personally
    Either way it's a bit silly to compromise your anonimity
    You'd never find Kerr doing that

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast