+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Eastleigh 2nd round opponents

Eastleigh 2nd round opponents

So now, possibly as expected by most, we know we'll face National League opposition on their home ground. We really don't have a good record against 'non-league' opposition (exceptions I can think of: Droylsden, Nuneaton, Gresley (?) ). Eastleigh even beat us at Gresty Road relatively recently.
    Have we got over our vulnerability against these teams?
    We were very professional against Accrington but we have often risen to the occasion when we have been the underdog. Our problems have often occurred against 'lesser' teams.
    Having said which, we haven't played many lower table teams in the league, yet. So maybe the game against Morecambe can give us some indication of whether times have changed.
    Reading back to my 'exceptions', none of the teams were in the division immediately below ours when we knocked these teams out. Perhaps someone can give us some statistics regarding this
    Eastleigh are providing over a thousand tickets. Is this a figure we could sell for such a long journey? There's a lot at stake: a good cup run is just what's needed at a time when there's a share issue on; it's about time we had one; it's also on telly - which is good if we play well and win, but not if we don't and finally we need some good national exposure after other recent events.
    Again I've covered a lot of ground here, so ....are you going? Will we win? What score? How far can we go in the competition?

Definitely not going, Saturday tea time unattractive, BT viewing for me (will have to record the dancing). I think that we will edge it 2-1 and have a good feeling about the R3 draw. Gallant losers in the 3rd round against top team opposition with more TV coverage. There you go I have set myself up for a fall.

Tea time kick off , its on TV with BT sports and we will win the game 1-3. Round 3 draw a top 6 premiership team and win 2-0 at their ground . Ooops just been dreaming . We will still win 1-3 and in round 3 get a Div 1 team to play and get knocked out

Doesn't seem like many are going

Travelling is awkward, no trains and planes back at that time. Driving is the only option and that is putting people off
    Will have to rely on the Southern branch

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    So now, possibly as expected by most, we know we'll face National League opposition on their home ground. We really don't have a good record against 'non-league' opposition (exceptions I can think of: Droylsden, Nuneaton, Gresley (?) ). Eastleigh even beat us at Gresty Road relatively recently.
    Have we got over our vulnerability against these teams?
    We were very professional against Accrington but we have often risen to the occasion when we have been the underdog. Our problems have often occurred against 'lesser' teams.
    Having said which, we haven't played many lower table teams in the league, yet. So maybe the game against Morecambe can give us some indication of whether times have changed.
    Reading back to my 'exceptions', none of the teams were in the division immediately below ours when we knocked these teams out. Perhaps someone can give us some statistics regarding this
    Eastleigh are providing over a thousand tickets. Is this a figure we could sell for such a long journey? There's a lot at stake: a good cup run is just what's needed at a time when there's a share issue on; it's about time we had one; it's also on telly - which is good if we play well and win, but not if we don't and finally we need some good national exposure after other recent events.
    Again I've covered a lot of ground here, so ....are you going? Will we win? What score? How far can we go in the competition?
    We've also had lots of other wins v non league teams back in the day.
    Runcorn
    Stafford
    Congleton
    Bishop Auckland
    Kidderminster
    Willenhall
    Marine
    Atherstone

I shall be there possibly with A.N. Other, looks like we might have to sing up a bit? 2-2 draw, replay back at ours, possibly a further TV game.

Good luck to all those who make the journey. Respect!