+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albion's fitness routine

Albion's fitness routine

Went to a "closed" training session a couple of years back - for sponsors etc - and was a bit suprised at the intensity it was all carried out at. Didn't seem to be any holds barred on shooting and tackling. A bit of an eye opener

Thanks soulman, that is really interesting

Hi, training moved on a lot since we used to watch them at Spring rd. We used go that often they used to let us come in to be ball boys. The trainers were old Albert Mc Pherson nd John Jarmen.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Hi, training moved on a lot since we used to watch them at Spring rd. We used go that often they used to let us come in to be ball boys. The trainers were old Albert Mc Pherson nd John Jarmen.
    In those days some of the players used to get their petrol from the garage in Spon Lane. A couple of my mates going past one morning spotted Dougie Fraser there and he offered them a lift up to the training ground. Cheeky buggers hung around when they had finishedtraining to ask if they could get a lift back

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOP115 View Post
    In those days some of the players used to get their petrol from the garage in Spon Lane. A couple of my mates going past one morning spotted Dougie Fraser there and he offered them a lift up to the training ground. Cheeky buggers hung around when they had finishedtraining to ask if they could get a lift back
    Some of the players used to go to gala baths after training, so we used to get a lift with them. One of them said don't get in Lovetts car he's a mad driver. Then after we went to Stan Jones Chip shop next to the Dartmouth, he used to give us extra chips.

It was reported that Tony Pulis was extremely strict and ensured intense training sessions. I do recollect that certain players took exception and (rightly) were excluded from the match squad selection?

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Some of the players used to go to gala baths after training, so we used to get a lift with them. One of them said don't get in Lovetts car he's a mad driver. Then after we went to Stan Jones Chip shop next to the Dartmouth, he used to give us extra chips.
    Lloyd,don’t you mean the Sandwell (goose).remember chads chip shop opposite the Sandwell,westwards kept for years it closed for the new bus station,and they bought the chip shop you mentioned.the son John was a big baggie fan.they moved to Blackpool were they bought a hotel.they sold the chip shop to Stan.the old lady worked in both chippies for years.had a fair few free fish and chips.

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    Lloyd,don’t you mean the Sandwell (goose).remember chads chip shop opposite the Sandwell,westwards kept for years it closed for the new bus station,and they bought the chip shop you mentioned.the son John was a big baggie fan.they moved to Blackpool were they bought a hotel.they sold the chip shop to Stan.the old lady worked in both chippies for years.had a fair few free fish and chips.
    Got the name my pubs mixed ment to say the Sandwell. If you come out the Sandwell to right round the corner( towards the Townhall) Stan Jones chip shop was 2 doors up.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOOP115 View Post
    I know Roy Franks who ( with his family) own the Vauxhall garage in Spon Lane.

A while since I’ve been in but Roy was a character and his old man even more so according to my old man who did business with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)