+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T lottery money

O/T lottery money

Should it be used as it is to sub sportsmen?
    Why not get sponsors instead of stealing money going to good causes.

I think only 20% goes to sport related applications

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    Completely agree, crash. My understanding was that the NL contributions to sport was originally intended to help disadvantaged, encourage fitness and community projects and widen access. How this squares with giving money to elite athletes in pursuit of Olympic medals escapes me.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post

Funding young amatuer athletes who have ability to help them reach their full potential on the world stage is a fantastic cause and great for the country.

It doesn’t go to the established Lewis Hamilton’s and Rory McIlroy’s of the UK. It is for training facilities and equipment to make sure you sportsmen/women get into a position to get sponsors and then sporting success benefits everyone. Same for the Arts.

There is also no pretence where the money goes or is anyone obliged to pay/play.
    Unlike other taxes we pay and have no control how or where it is spent.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    Completely agree, crash. My understanding was that the NL contributions to sport was originally intended to help disadvantaged, encourage fitness and community projects and widen access. How this squares with giving money to elite athletes in pursuit of Olympic medals escapes me.
    They arent elite when they get the funding is the simple answer. The funding is in early development stages that gives them the stepping stone to become 'elite'. Very many dont make it.

Its tricky for athlete from age 18 to early 20s. They need to train full time to make it to the top. Olympics sports (like athletics, hockey, badminton, rowing, etc) arent professional and dont give an income to play. Its not huge amounts and supplements what their parents have to fork out. (But I suspect you know this and fishing for a reaction - lol - my guess though is that crash doesnt and why he made the original post.)

Elite athletes with their own income dont get the funding. As an example Geraint Thomas got funding in the early years when he first joined up with British Cycling. The funding stopped when he got the job with Sky (Ineos). He doesnt get paid to when he cycles on the track for GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    It doesn’t go to the established Lewis Hamilton’s and Rory McIlroy’s of the UK. It is for training facilities and equipment to make sure you sportsmen/women get into a position to get sponsors and then sporting success benefits everyone. Same for the Arts.
    Exactly right. But I dont think funding is available for F1 or Golf. I think the criteria is they must be Olympic sports. Athletes do get a pretty small living allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by wendun View Post
    My understanding from the outset was that NL money would help fund infrastructure and equipment, and provide grants for athletes targeting Olympic sports.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Exactly right. But I dont think funding is available for F1 or Golf. I think the criteria is they must be Olympic sports. Athletes do get a pretty small living allowance.
    They were just the 2 richest British sports stars I could think of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast