+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rotherham football roll of honour.

Rotherham football roll of honour.

Whilst reading an article on the Football Battalions of the great war, I realised that there is no roll of honour at the NYS. Many clubs have a list of players and staff who, sadly, lost their lives during both wars. Of course, it would mean trolling the records, but it seems a shame that a town, with three former league teams, don't have a focus of their combined loss at the ground.
    What do the rest of this forum think?

I actually wrote to the club last season asking them why we didn’t have one.
    I never got a reply.

It is ridiculous not to imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    Whilst reading an article on the Football Battalions of the great war, I realised that there is no roll of honour at the NYS. Many clubs have a list of players and staff who, sadly, lost their lives during both wars. Of course, it would mean trolling the records, but it seems a shame that a town, with three former league teams, don't have a focus of their combined loss at the ground.
    What do the rest of this forum think?
    Good idea. There are a number of sites on line with this kind of info. For example:
    https://www.footballandthefirstworld...-war-database/

In a couple of minutes on the web I found two names, Philip Bratley and James Moles for WW1.
    Last edited by wendun; 22-11-2019 at 05:51 AM.

When it was written that the club was formed in 1884 we had players that gave their lives in the first great war. If we were to honour the players then we would need 3 boards to do it properly.
    The players from the 2 clubs before 1925 and one for the second world war.

Why don’t the club set up crowd funding then they’ll be able to do this and the Arthur Wharton statue and anything else they might need to do especially with what EFL/FA decide to throw at them

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Why don’t the club set up crowd funding then they’ll be able to do this and the Arthur Wharton statue and anything else they might need to do especially with what EFL/FA decide to throw at them
    Just needs a bronze wall plaque.

No statues, that would only give Walter the pigeon something to **** on.

There is only one Rotherham United player who I know of who lost his life during World War 2. It was Samuel Dyson who wasnt actually at the club but left just before the outbreak of the war to play for West Ham. He has a memorial page here.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...dyson,-samuel/

There could be others but none I have come accross so far.

If it turns out that we have no fatalities from current players(at that time), do we qualify as a 'thankful' club?

Quote Originally Posted by jocksgloves View Post
    If it turns out that we have no fatalities from current players(at that time), do we qualify as a 'thankful' club?
    If it includes Rotherham Town then there will be deaths. Such was the scale of it particularly WW1.

It should include Town and County.