+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Motherwell lose at Easter Road

Motherwell lose at Easter Road

Motherwell lost 3-1 at a cold wet Easter Road as Hibs earned a win for their new manager. Liam Polworth gave us an early lead but we were behind by the break. The opposition took their chances, we did not. - External Link

No surprise unfortunately. We still ship totally avoidable goals and are punchless up front. Not the first time we've thrown away a lead. It was not all down to one player of course but I don't think Barry Maguire will make a defensive midfielder.

If we have any ambition of finishing in top 4 or 5 we must sign an out and out goal scorer and a creative midfielder who can make the telling pass I know that is easier said than done. But we have to start looking at options now so we are ready for January transfer window.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    No surprise unfortunately. We still ship totally avoidable goals and are punchless up front. Not the first time we've thrown away a lead. It was not all down to one player of course but I don't think Barry Maguire will make a defensive midfielder.
    That was a game we didn't need to lose - we were well in it, but why were we so loth to have a shot on goal? We worked ourselves into some good positions going forward, but no one seemed anxious to shoot at a 'keeper who got away with a massive fumble. James Scott did balloon one over, but at least he had a go! We should have had a pen., but that's of no relevance now.
    We don't need a Neymar, just a Higdon or a Sutton.

We desperately need a traditional Number 9 and I'd ship Cole back down south next month. Defence also needs strengthening and we lack a decent defensive midfielder.

I think this game summed up where we are really...not awful by any means but over 38 games I don't think there's a chance of finshing in the top four. No disgrace given pre-season thoughts.

The defence I think is 'okay' - you'd say it's not relegation material but it's far from impressive. I actually think the midfield three of Donnelly-Campbell-Polworth is in the decent-enough-certainly-better-than-feared level but it's a delicate balance and easily blown over if something goes wrong. If one of them is out and we bring in Maguire - especially away to Hibs rather than at home to a struggler - we're going to be having problems.

Up front clearly isn't good enough. If we're being generous the jury is still out on Long while Cole should definitely be punted. If we had a Sutton/Higdon type scorer that'd probably cover up the problems elsewhere enough to make us a genuine top four contender.

I'm sure Robinson will move for a new forward in January but given that is, by absolute miles, his weakest area of recruitment, you're hardly overly excited by the prospect.

I'll assess in terms of 'Top Trumps' ...

Goalie = 72%
    Defence = 67%
    Midfield = 78%
    Attack = 52'ish%

More % needed up front ...

Not a single creative bone in the midfield anf frequently swamped because we don't match up to opposition numbers. All 100% triers but if you can say the same about most teams.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)