+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mowbray Out

Hey lads (lol), nice to see this board getting busy again, this hasnt happened in a long time now has it.

Seriously though, what did you think about us (Burnsley) as a bottom of the table side, didn't we deserve a draw at least in this match ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Hey lads (lol), nice to see this board getting busy again, this hasnt happened in a long time now has it.

Seriously though, what did you think about us (Burnsley) as a bottom of the table side, didn't we deserve a draw at least in this match ?.

At least. A number of good players on show, but a defence a bit like ours!
    Best of luck for turning it around.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    I still can't see that we are in a disaster-zone.
    We were poor on Saturday and won.
    We outplayed Forest and didn't get what we deserved. After a top-notch performance against Reading, we looked pretty terrible against Luton.
    This abysmal inconsistency has plagued us for two seasons (or more!), and obviously Mowbray is the one who will pay for it very shortly.
    Condemning absolutely everything he does, though, just seems plain daft to me. How on earth can such poor performances from two of our better players this season, Travis and Holtby, be laid at the manager's door?
    And is Mowbray responsible for an experienced professional like Armstrong running out of position during almost every attacking move? Armstrong claims that centre-forward is his favoured position. Well, he is never going to be a target-man, so if he wants to base his play on running at the defence, it would be sensible to learn about timing and to ask for a full explanation of the off-side rule!
    He doesn't have to play Armstrong though? There is no law that says a midget plays at centre forward. And if you do, which is a big mistake, don't instill a style of play where the ball is lumped up 40 yards to said midget who is marked by 2 6ft 3 defenders. A managers job is to problem solve. While I agree it's not a disaster, I still say it's pretty poor most weeks. And we won't always play bottom of the league at home. Solve the problem we have? Or at least try? We seem clueless. From the manager down to the players. Repeating the same mistakes every week is poor imo. And while I agree about Armstrong, don't pick him. There's one option.

If Rothwell is fit, I suspect (I hope!) he will play instead of Armstrong.
    Given Williams's injury, it surely makes sense to play three at the back (even though none of them are left-footers, unfortunately). That would mean a team such as:
    Walton
    Nyambe Tosin Lenihan
    Bennett Travis Rothwell Holtby Downing
    Dack Graham.
    (Alternatively, Rothwell could play in the "hole" between midfield and the two forwards).
    I have put Graham in as the centre-forward purely on pragmatic grounds. I don't mind if it's Gallagher, instead, but he would have to be there as a No.9, and he doesn't have the same hold-up attributes as Graham. To be fair, we could start him there for half-a-dozen games to see if he can make a fist of it. There is always the option of bringing Graham on for the final thirty.
    The reason I suggest five (possibly four) in midfield is that I think we need to be defending adequately in that area first. I was impressed by how many tackles Rothwell got in in Saturday - far more than Armstrong has ever managed. That formation is an attempt at a double whammy, really, as it's also time we took hold of that midfield area in a way that gives us more options on the attacking front.
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 26-11-2019 at 09:59 PM.

At least. A number of good players on show, but a defence a bit like ours!
    Best of luck for turning it around.
    Tahh Aucks kid lol, but we're down now mate and we all know it!. Nobody gets relegated on Nov 25th do they, but we ARE!!.
    Btw, it might annoy my Burnsley friends, the fact that Im getting along with you all on here (Alfie loves you lot really, yes he does).

If Rothwell is fit, I suspect (I hope!) he will play instead of Armstrong.
    Given Williams's injury, it surely makes sense to play three at the back (even though none of them are left-footers, unfortunately). That would mean a team such as:
    Walton
    Nyambe Tosin Lenihan
    Bennett Travis Rothwell Holtby Downing
    Dack Graham.
    (Alternatively, Rothwell could play in the "hole" between midfield and the two forwards).
    I have put Graham in as the centre-forward purely on pragmatic grounds. I don't mind if it's Gallagher, instead, but he would have to be there as a No.9, and he doesn't have the same hold-up attributes as Graham. To be fair, we could start him there for half-a-dozen games to see if he can make a fist of it. There is always the option of bringing Graham on for the final thirty.
    The reason I suggest five (possibly four) in midfield is that I think we need to be defending adequately in that area first. I was impressed by how many tackles Rothwell got in in Saturday - far more than Armstrong has ever managed. That formation is an attempt at a double whammy, really, as it's also time we took hold of that midfield area in a way that gives us more options on the attacking front.
    Don't disagree with any of that. Le5s see what tonight brings. I always wonder if a southern club like Brentford would fancy it on a cold Wed night in east Lancs.

ACIDO - it sounds as if the Boro game was a repeat.
    By all accounts, you had the best of it.

Aucks, I just wanted to be fair and put my hands up. As I have said numerous times my feelings on him this season.
    Graham was decent the other night. Subtle little touches, as proven on our goal.
    We don't score that if he isn't on the pitch. All night he gave Jansson & the other centre half a tough time.
    I do still feel his legs have gone, but he is still clever in how he leans into defenders and I do always feel Dack is a better player with him playing.
    Dack played much further forward and again, we look a different side with that happening.
    Playing players on merit, playing players in their actual positions made us look like a team I felt.
    Brave to drop Bennett, who wasn't injured. We do look a better side without him in it, from the start. He is best left to bring on in the odd game at 70 mins to sure things up. Or in away matches to give Nyambe protection. And he was brave to pick Evans, over the likes of Johnson etc. Evans makes Travis a better player. Trav put in such a mature performance, and didn't react at the end when he got a slap. He wound them up all night, in a good way.
    The bit of skill by Holtby at the end was sublime, and not just for show, it had an end product.
    I did feel Rothwell had a better game. I still felt he missed the biggest chance of the game (other than our goal) which puts the game to bed and we have no nervy finish. Still question his end product, but we saw the good side of his game 1st half. He tracks back much better than Armstrong, and provided more cover.
    Downing was good at LB, but I hope we are wary of this. I would not want him playing there in an away game if they had a fast winger. I think he could be exposed quite easily.
    Tosin is becoming a revelation. Lets try buy him!! Young, classy and one for the future, who will keep improving. He won't ever play for City, so hopefully we can try sign him.

Tosin has been great for us and good relations with city might enable us to at least get him on loan again next season.
    Stewart downing was great at left back but would a wing back role be the way forward when Derek Williams returns?
    Plenty of positives to be found and despite my fears for Saturday we at least go in with confidence and that goal
    Wow just wow,great team play all round.

Best team goal I've seen at Ewood for years.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)