+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 down, 22 to go, Morton away up next

14 down, 22 to go, Morton away up next

So for me this is one of the more difficult games right now to have even with Shankland fit and why nothing should be taken for granted at this stage, you look at the table and see Morton struggling and remember we ruled thumped then add Tannadice but it masks the reality of them being a completely different outfit home and away, away from home they are quite frankly the worst in the county stats wise, played 7 lost 7 and barely scored a goal... At home they are second in the table behind only us (but come on... we are top ten in world football for home record just now) with a record of 5 wins 1 draw 1 defeat, no one else has won more than 4 home games including those just behind us in the play off positions, Morton have also scored more goals at home (14) than anyone else but us so averaging 2 per game

They are relying on this to keep them out of relegation places and will want to make up for the heavy defeat we gave them, I reckon the cleansheet run will end

That being said, last week, without Shankland, we were excellent, I would make no changes and if we apply ourselves the same we then we are more capable of winning there

Seigrist
    Smith Watson Reynolds Robson
    Butcher Stanton
    Appere Harkes McMullan
    Clark

Deniz Connolly Brown Mochrie Chalmers C Smith Pawlett

(or however we set up last week, McMullan was defo left drifting in and Harkes was further forward although the front guys were quite fluid)

Morton 1-2 United

Keeper and defence should pick themselves, but Connolly might get a run out.

Midfield and up front should be Stanton, Butcher, Harkes, McMullan then Clark, Appere.

As to Pawlett coming back, i dont think he should be anywhere near the squad until he is 100% fit. Team is playing better without him and he should not be shoehorned back in based on what he used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Keeper and defence should pick themselves, but Connolly might get a run out.

Midfield and up front should be Stanton, Butcher, Harkes, McMullan then Clark, Appere.

As to Pawlett coming back, i dont think he should be anywhere near the squad until he is 100% fit. Team is playing better without him and he should not be shoehorned back in based on what he used to be.
    The starting lineup should be unchanged. Watson has earned it and Connolly needs to win his place back only on the basis of injury or poor performance from the players with the jersey.
    Agree about Pawlett, but the big question is whether Robbie is learning. I'm thinking (hoping) he is.

Unchanged, 0-2

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    The starting lineup should be unchanged. Watson has earned it and Connolly needs to win his place back only on the basis of injury or poor performance from the players with the jersey.
    100% agree

I’m struggling to think of seeing a worse team at Tannadice in the last decade.

They drew 1-1 with Brora on Saturday having managed a grand total of 3 shots on target, 1 of which was the penalty they scored from.

Failure to get 3 points here and it’ll be running the 0-4 in Dumfries close for worst result of the season.

Credit to Brora for that

Like I say, worst away team in the country but a completely different side at home, Hopkin has a style that is working for them at home (but maybe not in thy scenario where they are favourites?) so completely disagree about failure to get three pts being as bad as dumfries, let's not get cocky

They have played ten competitive home games this season and lost just 1 (3-2 to Ayr), they have beaten Inverness (despite losing 5-0 in the Highlands), Dundee and Arbroath and have the second best home record in the division

This will be a difficult one, I think we will edge it but can't see a comfortable afternoon, won't be anything like at Tannadice

Our 4th season in this league and it’s worse than ever. Only have to look at the Scottish cup results from weekend to see just how poor it is.

The fact that Morton have the 2nd best home record says it all. If we go there with the right attitude, we win the game.

It says they are a team that's good at home and poor away and you can't judge the league on a round of cup fixtures or you need to then cover the whole of the country, where its looking like the old crap scenario of the bigots being way out ahead and the rest regressing (as the Sheep and Edinburgh sides are weaker than they were a could season or two back)

At the same time we are better so we have improved the quality of the league a bit, doesn't change the fact we aren't going to roll up and have it easy away from home especially at a team who are obviously decent at home, I agree if we go there and perform then we have a good chance of winning but imo it will be by edging it, not comfortable.

They looked half decent at Dens and deserved a point.

We can't afford to take any team in this league for granted, especially away from home, it's all about having the right attitude and going about our business the right way in every game no matter who we're playing. This type of attitude was shown up in the Highlands a few weeks back and I don't expect it to be any different on Saturday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)