+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherwell score four against poor St Johnstone

Motherwell score four against poor St Johnstone

Motherwell enjoyed a convincing 4-0 win over St Johnstone at Fir Park without playing much in the way of sparkling football. The return to winning form sets the team up for a busy December. - External Link

After a brace of defeats the result was the importnat thing today. What better way to bounce back than by winning 4-0 at home? By no means a great display but it'll do me and it takes us a step nearer safety, always our first target. 4 different scorers and Mazinga scores on his debut. I'll take that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    After a brace of defeats the result was the importnat thing today. What better way to bounce back than by winning 4-0 at home? By no means a great display but it'll do me and it takes us a step nearer safety, always our first target. 4 different scorers and Mazinga scores on his debut. I'll take that.
    It's sometimes funny how things pan out. We have, apparently without a prolific striker, scored more goals in the league than anybody outside the top two. Whoda thought it, as a satirical publication puts it.

Excellent point about the (lack of) striker...today Long barely kicked the ball and before he scored Cole looked a complete shambles. But they both did the business briefly, a couple of set pieces and then a (superb) break was the cherry on top.

It also backs up my long standing theory that competence in the SPL will more often than not see the opposition throw you the game but that's a note of caution for tomorrow.

We're surely safe, I don't think anyone thinks we'll finish in the bottom two from here. The question is whether we start planning in January based on being in the top six...not quite guaranteed yet but it could be pretty safe by the turn of the year if we maintain our current rate of points.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Excellent point about the (lack of) striker...today Long barely kicked the ball and before he scored Cole looked a complete shambles. But they both did the business briefly, a couple of set pieces and then a (superb) break was the cherry on top.

It also backs up my long standing theory that competence in the SPL will more often than not see the opposition throw you the game but that's a note of caution for tomorrow.

We're surely safe, I don't think anyone thinks we'll finish in the bottom two from here. The question is whether we start planning in January based on being in the top six...not quite guaranteed yet but it could be pretty safe by the turn of the year if we maintain our current rate of points.
    Agreed - safe on but the 1st day of December !! Happy Christmas ...

Next objective?

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Agreed - safe on but the 1st day of December !! Happy Christmas ...

Next objective?
    Securing the top six. I don't think, over the whole season, we'll match Aberdeen and Jack Ross will surely get enough cash to spend in January that makes Hibs still likely to finish above us. But us and Killie fighting out fifth and sixth would certainly be a pleasant spring in comparison to pre-season expectations...

We can revisit fourth (or better!) should we still be there or thereabouts in March but you have to say from this position seventh or worse would be disappointing.

I agree we're on course for a top 6 finish if we continue to do the business. Like HD I reckon we'll finish in 5th or 6th place. Yes, Hibs will climb up the table after splashing the cash next month. I's also like us to engagae in a bit of fine tuning next month to bring in a striker and maybe another defensive player.

I hope we are talking to Wigan about extending Cole's loan spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    I's also like us to engagae in a bit of fine tuning next month to bring in a striker and maybe another defensive player.
    IMO we have abundance defensive players and a creative mid-fielder and centre forward in desperate need. However, we have Scott who I'd rather see play as centre forward and Sloth, who we have yet to see. Not forgetting Turnbull who hopefully will return Feb'20.
    Dunn another to return after injury. Mazinga scored a belter but too early to sing his praises. Perhaps if list those in squad and yet to play consistently (O'Hara, Sloth, Ilic, Maguire, Mazinga), we have adequate cover every position.
    Got to ask ... WHY did we get Sloth on a contract ?

Quote Originally Posted by dasdeid View Post
    IMO we have abundance defensive players and a creative mid-fielder and centre forward in desperate need. However, we have Scott who I'd rather see play as centre forward and Sloth, who we have yet to see. Not forgetting Turnbull who hopefully will return Feb'20.
    Dunn another to return after injury. Mazinga scored a belter but too early to sing his praises. Perhaps if list those in squad and yet to play consistently (O'Hara, Sloth, Ilic, Maguire, Mazinga), we have adequate cover every position.
    Got to ask ... WHY did we get Sloth on a contract ?
    Is Scott ready to play as our centre forward. On the evidence of last season he wasn't ready to face up to hulking Premiership centre backs. Our defensive midfield isn't great even with Donnelly and if he gets injured we have no ready made stand in as Barry Maguire is no midfielder. Right back is also a weak link. Tait has regressed and for all his attacking prowess Grimshaw is weak defensively. Definite scope for improvement. Sloth may come good yet - look at Gorrin last season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)