Forgive me for indulging in one of my bugbears but I want to have a go at the Alex about pace of the game. The first half against Eastleigh was quite promising as we moved the ball about quite a bit and with some tempo. Even Charlie was quite positive and aggressive. However, the second half was a bit like the game against FGR and other games this season. I find it really frustrating when we really slow it down, even to the extent that Charlie was actually walking with the ball and at one point just standing with his foot on it.
Why does it annoy me? Well, taking the Eastleigh game as a good example: the first half, when we moved the ball with some pace, we were able to make the opposition lose shape and created a lot of space for ourselves. In the second half we slowed it down so much that they were able to keep their shape, pick off our passes and then launch their own attacks as we had slowly moved our whole team forward leaving space for them to attack. To me, it isn't rocket science- keep the ball moving and the opposition on the turn. If the opposition are doing all the chasing, then they will
tire and lose shape more than we will and make themselves vulnerable to making mistakes.
This is not really a moan but analysis of something I perceive as something we could improve on. If you disagree with any part of it, please state your argument.
Who knows we might develop some deep insights between us!🙂