+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season so far.

Season so far.

Have read and heard a lot about giving Bruce credit for the season so far.I happen to think a win percentage of under 27 percent and possession stats of around 30 percent is nothing to celebrate.
    Also with a spend of over 80m on the front 3,I dont think the media would be saying give Rafa credit if he had spent that like they are with Bruce.
    I know some will say it's a negative post but in my opinion its fact.Its not food enough and needs to improve or we will go down.

He’s done ok so far but the forward line isa huge worry. £85 million spent and 14 games in with one goal and one assist

That is abysmal stats

Agree - not sure why Bruce is getting praise after that spend. Almiron and SM need good coaching if they’re to realise their potential. Joelinton needs to start scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Agree - not sure why Bruce is getting praise after that spend. Almiron and SM need good coaching if they’re to realise their potential. Joelinton needs to start scoring.
    On current form that forward line won’t get 20 goals this season between them

A legend in Supermac who is probably still more dangerous up front than them now offered to do a bit of coaching with the forwards.He hasnt been taken up on the offer.

He's pulled a couple of cracking results out of the bag...well, 4, to be fair,
    Saturday's result would have been hailed as a defensive masterclass had Rafa been around so he needs the plaudits for that.

BUT...and I'm genuinely not trying to sound churlish here...there's part of me that thinks that the team spirit and organisation that Rafa engendered is largely what's getting us through as opposed to anything that Bruce has fostered particularly. Now Bruce intimated that he was trying to get us to leave Rafa's defensive mindset behind and make us more attacking...and that's the bit that's not working out. We're either smacking it long to a criminally isolated Joelinton (who is being played out of position anyway) or allowing St Maximin to pile forward in a highly exciting but ultimately unproductive way; ditto Almiron but with less exctiement. Our passing and ball retention is generally poor and we're not good to watch.

Pick the bones out of that.
    Last edited by Zippity; 02-12-2019 at 09:38 PM. Reason: sh!t typing

Very dull football
    Nothing up front at all
    Games coming thick and fast
    Long hard season ahead

One off results I can't go overboard on the manager like some have.If the results were consistent then I would agree with some of the praise as thats his job at the end of the day.
    Any manager of any team can have a good result every 3 or 4 games.I just think if Rafa had spent 80 odd million on a forward line and the team had the results we have had,he would have been slaughtered for a mis-firing forward line.It would be his fault.

Agreed Zip and Geordie.

I can give him credit for the wins but i also think its the work that Rafa did prior that is carrying us at the minute.

Also, look at our scorers they are players that Rafa picked and coached in the main.

I also don't actually think that Bruce had any real say in who we bought, so in some respects i almost feel it unfair to blame or praise him for ASM and Joelinton.

If rafa was in charge after 14 games and his front 3 had only scored 1 he's be ripped a new ho!e

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)