+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barnsley

Whereas a fast start similar to we’ve been getting recently will see us well. For god’s sake why do people have to look for bad omens, even if it means going back months or years!!!!!

Wintle at CH again. Be interesting to see him up against better players in this position.

Wintle’s least convincing display at CH today I thought, unsurprisingly. But we really missed him in his usual position, especially in the first 15 minutes where we effectively lost the game - always chasing after that.

Was a shame as, though not the greatest of games, I thought thereafter we competed well and created a chance or 2. Powell was a threat (but should have scored), Chuma battled away but where was Charlie? Seemed to have no confidence to take his man on, although he was tightly marked today. Will proved his worth, but waste of time sending him up for the corner - he isn’t the biggest and wasn’t really a threat.

Ah well, concentrate on retaining players and getting promotion. Still plenty to look forward to.

Bit of an anti-climax in the end. Outplayed for 20 minutes but dragged ourselves back into the game. Start of second half we went for it and scored way on. Was expecting us to push on from there but it never materialised.
    Was surprised Will went up but it was at such a late stage that there was really nothing to lose. Indicative of our own weakness at dead ball situations, the free-kick Will went up for was actually delivered behind most of our players thus making their breakaway goal easy to achieve.
    I call again for the management to spend more time on corner and free kicks.

As for Charlie, he won't have raised his profile at all, not least because of his constant moaning at team mates.

Ohh well, I hope you enjoyed the game anyway lads lol.
    And hey dont worry about it, the 4th Round draw is a bad one anyway. Would you have all liked to go all the way daarn to Portsmouth!!.

I think our defending at free kicks has been somewhat hampered by the lack of a first choice CB in the past few matches. Barnsley didn’t threaten with height other than at dead ball situations when their CBs caused us problems - not sure how we’d cope in general play but I guess if we have the ball and are on the front foot it’s slightly less of an issue. However, as has been said on another thread, a CB is an essential in the transfer window, especially with Eddie out for the foreseeable future, no sign of Lancashire and Mbulu not looking up to it. .

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I think our defending at free kicks has been somewhat hampered by the lack of a first choice CB in the past few matches. Barnsley didn’t threaten with height other than at dead ball situations when their CBs caused us problems - not sure how we’d cope in general play but I guess if we have the ball and are on the front foot it’s slightly less of an issue. However, as has been said on another thread, a CB is an essential in the transfer window, especially with Eddie out for the foreseeable future, no sign of Lancashire and Mbulu not looking up to it. .
    And Hunt being 36? And in his last season.

Indeed, Jimmy. I think he and Wintle have done admirably, but they will get caught out eventually, perhaps when they come up against what used to be called an old fashioned CF.... or Porter/Anene type, dare I say!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12