+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cup tie at dens..

Cup tie at dens..

That is absolutely absurd and yet another slap in the face to travelling supporters. A 7.20pm kick off on a Saturday night with our fans having to travel to and back from Dundee? That will put off almost half of those who would have went to this game.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    That is absolutely absurd and yet another slap in the face to travelling supporters. A 7.20pm kick off on a Saturday night with our fans having to travel to and back from Dundee? That will put off almost half of those who would have went to this game.
    That's my plans totally hit on the head. We intended to drive from Dumfriesshire up to visit our daughter in Edinburgh, with me continuing to Dundee. Now? With both of us in our seventies, and at that time of night, nae chance!
    My thanks to whoever thought this one up.

It's the supporters who lose out as always. For all this wasn't the best of draws, the 4th(old 3rd Round) of the Scottish Cup in January was always a big favourite with the fans and an away day always guaranteed a big travelling support. Now thanks to television the support have been inconvenienced and along with it being shown live on council tele, this will naturally put folk off going that normally would have went.

Crazy time for as game of football to kick off. It certainly has put me off from going up to the game. one of the trips i look forward to most is the first away Scottish cup game of the year. It'l now be sitting in the house with a beer shouting the well on from there for me.

I think most folk grudgingly accept the need for TV money means games get moved and have made their peace with a couple of 'reasonable' kick-off times beyond Saturday at 3pm...7.20 on a Saturday is insane though. A quick google suggests the last train connection to Motherwell leaves Dundee at 2120. I doubt buses are much better. I don't really like the thought of boycotting games, especially in the cup, but I would not object to the image of an empty away stand - not I think it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I think most folk grudgingly accept the need for TV money means games get moved and have made their peace with a couple of 'reasonable' kick-off times beyond Saturday at 3pm...7.20 on a Saturday is insane though.
    I'm in the minority in that I've never accepted the need for TV money. Its ruining the game as this insane kick off time proves. This decision has nothing to do with football and everything to do with TV companies profits and viewing figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    I'm in the minority in that I've never accepted the need for TV money. Its ruining the game as this insane kick off time proves. This decision has nothing to do with football and everything to do with TV companies profits and viewing figures.
    Is it ruining the game in Scotland? By and large we've avoided daft kick-offs for the league since the days of the 6.05pm Sunday slot and if papping the Old Firm side that's away, and the occasional Edinburgh/Dundee derby, to lunch-time brings in millions it's hard to argue with. Attendances in the cities are either holding or on the up, even ourselves, Killie etc have stopped losing fans.

We do not have our weekend card spread over four days like in Italy or Spain, nor do we have five standard kick-off times like Germany. And we have seen in golf, cricket and motorsport the danger of eliminating your live sport from free to air telly so the cup with the BBC is a chance to fix it.

Obviously on this occasion we've drawn the extremely short straw but what we sacrifice in exchange for TV is - for the modern world - a pretty fair balance imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    Agreed. This is a piece of nonsense and why a supposedly fan owned club would agree to this is a disgrace.

When we're eliminated at Dens our Board'll start whistlin Dixie. We would've taken at least 1500 at what these days is a 'normal' KO! But, 7.20 at night on a Saturday ... in fekkin Dundee; 650 at best IMO. Time a pair o baws was grown in the boardroom v TV Flow.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)