+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mistakes and Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Come on gentleman you can’t seriously believe we were going to have a proper go at team like city we’re you.
    I wander what reaction we’d have got if they stuck 7-8 past us in our gung ho style.

what does that even mean - Army...."a proper go" - dont we (gentlemen) expect Burnley to give it a "proper go" in every game we play...so what are you saying - it's Man City - just turn up and right it off ?.....not for me, thats not how any team should operate - especially one sat mid table in the Premier League, a position, were often reminded - that reflects the Burnley fortitude, and genius of our manager.....but not last night, and going by somes satisfied acceptance of that display -they can't mind us being reassessed as - The Cowering Sychophants.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Come on gentleman you can’t seriously believe we were going to have a proper go at team like city we’re you.
    I wander what reaction we’d have got if they stuck 7-8 past us in our gung ho style.

I’ve already alluded to this on another thread but we have absolutely zero pace in our squad ( Taylor maybe a bit), we have two ageing full backs and we’re missing the only midfield man who gets about people.( game over ).
    We played a team of absolute quality footballers and once you realise as a City players did that we couldn’t hurt them even the back 3 centre backs joined in probing continuous attacks..

Yes I think we could have offered a bit more than we did if we’d had a full contingent out but I’m not reading too much into a lesson from a superior side.

Back to my Palace quote at the weekend our fragile frailties are there for all to see when we have suspensions - injuries etc we don’t have the quality - depth required to compete at this level , add to that we are slow, lethargic and laboured in a league full off quick athletic technically gifted footballers.

The squad needs an overhaul and quick if we can manage to survive this season it will be a major triumph.

I can see a change coming to be honest , I think maybe Dyche tenure is coming to an end as I can’t see the board backing him enough to keep his interest.
    I will tell you what you do:

First 10 mins 4 4 2
    using wingers and supplying Mcneal as much as possible instruct to get to the by line and cross, pull this City team apart they love tight ticy tacty football, use the width to open up the gaps, get Hendrick and Woods in the box, use their height for this not long balls from the keeper.
    You cant start a game already conceding to loosing it , but lets try and keep the score down..
    Dyche set up with 5 at the back, wingers inside, 2 defensive mids, one long striker and we just handed the ball back to them time and time again to have another go, build confidence and momentum, I am surprised it wasn't 7 or 8, then would your answer be "well you wouldnt want it to be 10:0"

Quote Originally Posted by FromTheDarkness View Post
    I will tell you what you do:

First 10 mins 4 4 2
    using wingers and supplying Mcneal as much as possible instruct to get to the by line and cross, pull this City team apart they love tight ticy tacty football, use the width to open up the gaps, get Hendrick and Woods in the box, use their height for this not long balls from the keeper.
    You cant start a game already conceding to loosing it , but lets try and keep the score down..
    Dyche set up with 5 at the back, wingers inside, 2 defensive mids, one long striker and we just handed the ball back to them time and time again to have another go, build confidence and momentum, I am surprised it wasn't 7 or 8, then would your answer be "well you wouldnt want it to be 10:0"
    Yep, we should have done exactly what Watford did and our fans would have been happy because we had tried to play better football.

I have said it before and I will risk repeating myself again...

I love Sean Dyche, but he is tactically very naïve.

Only 3 teams in 15 matches have allowed City fewer shots at goal this season than the Clarets did last night.
    They won those three matches scoring 11 goals and conceding 1.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I have said it before and I will risk repeating myself again...

I love Sean Dyche, but he is tactically very naïve.
    If you had given Sean Dyche City's squad last night, and given Pep ours, I guarantee you it would have been Pep appearing tactically naive. There is no way a carthorse would win the Derby, even if Lester Piggot in his prime was riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    If you had given Sean Dyche City's squad last night, and given Pep ours, I guarantee you it would have been Pep appearing tactically naive. There is no way a carthorse would win the Derby, even if Lester Piggot in his prime was riding it.
    I think maybe you are misunderstanding, nobody has said we should have won. Complaints are about how we prepared and setup for the game, and the in game tactics coming to little and too late.. there are more ways to defend and deny than literally every man behind the ball and hoof and hope...

Quote Originally Posted by FromTheDarkness View Post
    I think maybe you are misunderstanding, nobody has said we should have won. Complaints are about how we prepared and setup for the game, and the in game tactics coming to little and too late.. there are more ways to defend and deny than literally every man behind the ball and hoof and hope...
    No I'm not misunderstanding at all FTD, this type of argument/discussion has been rumbling on here since we arrived in the PL, and in particular in the couple of days leading up to the game. It's my opinion that it didn't matter how we set up, how we played, which tactics or players we used in whatever position, the overwhelming likelihood was that City would cope with it, and we'd get turned over and be well beaten.

Then we get the old 'we have no plan B', but Pep has exactly the same plan B as Dyche, he plays 11 world class players and if it's not working, he sends on three different world class players, and sometimes the difference is remarkable, Dyche plays 11 journeymen and if it's not working he sends on three different journeymen, who rarely make any difference at all. But what else is he supposed to do ? He can change the formation, send another man up front, tell them to keep it on the deck a bit more, but the idea that any such tinkering will enable us to turn things round, outplay and beat teams like City is laughable. The problem at our club, if indeed there is one, lies in the Boardroom, not the manager's office.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    No I'm not misunderstanding at all FTD, this type of argument/discussion has been rumbling on here since we arrived in the PL, and in particular in the couple of days leading up to the game. It's my opinion that it didn't matter how we set up, how we played, which tactics or players we used in whatever position, the overwhelming likelihood was that City would cope with it, and we'd get turned over and be well beaten.

Then we get the old 'we have no plan B', but Pep has exactly the same plan B as Dyche, he plays 11 world class players and if it's not working, he sends on three different world class players, and sometimes the difference is remarkable, Dyche plays 11 journeymen and if it's not working he sends on three different journeymen, who rarely make any difference at all. But what else is he supposed to do ? He can change the formation, send another man up front, tell them to keep it on the deck a bit more, but the idea that any such tinkering will enable us to turn things round, outplay and beat teams like City is laughable. The problem at our club, if indeed there is one, lies in the Boardroom, not the manager's office.
    I strongly disagree, so due to the value difference we play park the bus.. with that mentality I guess we are setting up this way against at least 15 other teams as they are probs worth double that of us.

City Fans.....a few of their Pre-Match thoughts.

I expected us to drop points against both Newcastle and Burnley and am sticking with that. Burnley’s battering rams should enjoy themselves against our mighty central defence. It’s down to whether we can match them at the other end.

A draw if the right side is picked.

Burnley will be lumping the ball into the box at every opportunity, knowing we are defensively frail. It’s a shame we are having to look at drawing these games lately. A loss is unthinkable and would put us under real pressure.

As far as the game is concnered the way we are playing i think it will be a draw (not going to predict a loss but its not out of the realms of possibility)

Burnley will play with two giants up front because that’s all their dinosaurs manager knows. We have to play with two real centre backs and keep tge midfield tight to stop the long ball from being lobbed over the top.

We look so easy to slice through again. It is like Pep's first season. A real lack of balance. De Bruyne just desperately trying to run the game and Silva and Gundogan desperately trying to get anywhere near it. When we lose the ball it is so easy to run at our defence and we look shambolic at times..... .

A horrible place to go and a horrible team to play at the best of times. I think it will be a draw

Vast improvement needed both individually and as a team. Underwhelmed with the side so far this season.

Sean Dyche on #ManCity: "We have managed to make Turf Moor an awkward place to come. We want to take the game on and find a different way to effect them. They are a top side and have been unfortunate with injuries."
    PEP It’s difficult for all the teams (who visit Burnley). What they do, they do perfectly. They are so good with the second balls and the set pieces. We have to adapt to try and play our way.

With Burnley's height, Mendy might be useful. I know Zin is back, but I am thinking he needs a weeks full training before he's ready for selection.

The last few months have shown we play no different regardless of personnel, unless we see players in their actual positions which means wingers who’s strongest foot takes them on the outside and Fernandinho in midfield, I don’t see how we take 3 points from this

Will be a tough one as ever. Set pieces are a concern as we have many and never look like scoring but always look vulnerable defending corners and free kicks. Unfortunately that’s one of Burnley’s strengths so if we’re going to win we need to score 2 or possibly even 3.

What are the odd's that we make Burnley look like the 1970 Brazil World Cup Squad?

Can see this game being a draw as well,people calling for Fernandinho to go back into midfield isn’t going to happen,I could even see him being played alongside Laporte when he gets back from injury..

Dreading this game! Lol
    we need a good result here to lift our confidence going into the derby.
    The joys of being a city fan.
    Please no ****in injuries

We need to score at least 3 because if they have just 2 shots on goal they'll score 2.

People say our defence have problems but so do our attack.

Everytime i have seen Angelino he has been destroyed we have spent an absolute fortune on what apart from laporte is basically **** defenders

Burnley are going to be sticking crosses back post regardless so may as well have some height advantage there.

Stones and Otamendi was a nightmare at Norwich but we really need to go back to it.

Never been to Turf Moor before, so this will be a first. I can see this being a draw, too. We've now played not one — but two — games this season in which we twice led and threw it away.

burnley were swept aside by palace at home yesterday. its all set up for them to play like prime barca on tuesday

not exactly oozing confidence....little did they know !

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)