+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mistakes and Judgement

Mistakes and Judgement

Just got in from the match tonight. My observations are as follows:-

1. We were totally outclassed and City could probably have won by many more.
    2. We only ever had 9 players on the pitch, both Hendrick and Lennon were hopeless.
    3. The only time we had energy was when Brady came on the pitch.
    4. One positive was SD used his 3 subs but anyone with a modicum of knowledge of football (and I do not know what SD sees) would know that the 2 players that should have been taken off were Hendrick and Lennon.
    5. I have always been a supporter of SD but I wonder if his time is up or he is trying to get sacked. The decisions tonight were pathetic. Reluctantly I would say it is time to go. His trusted circle cannot be trusted.

All in all it simply shows we cannot deal with teams with pace we are just not good enough.

Fair points Lancy,but let's not forget this Citeh team is pretty good..

I still think we will struggle to stay up this season.. I can't agree about Dyche trying to get sacked though.. That's unthinkable..

For me Dyche went into this game too negative with only Wood up front, he should have used his subs when we was 1-0 down instead of making his token replacements some 8 minutes after we went 2-0 down, so for me his tactics were way off before the game and during it, for all the good he has been for BFC he certainly has his flaws.

You might as well have a go and try to score and cause them problems and get beaten than be on the back foot and try to beat a team like city with the odd long ball. We don't have the pace to support a loan striker and letting them play like they did means it's inevitable they will get chances and yes those big expensive players we can't afford will score. Our team limitations were fully on display, but it is city and they have money to burn lets face it. Lets be grateful we are not playing a team like City every week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster100 View Post
    Just got in from the match tonight. My observations are as follows:-

1. We were totally outclassed and City could probably have won by many more.
    2. We only ever had 9 players on the pitch, both Hendrick and Lennon were hopeless.
    3. The only time we had energy was when Brady came on the pitch.
    4. One positive was SD used his 3 subs but anyone with a modicum of knowledge of football (and I do not know what SD sees) would know that the 2 players that should have been taken off were Hendrick and Lennon.
    5. I have always been a supporter of SD but I wonder if his time is up or he is trying to get sacked. The decisions tonight were pathetic. Reluctantly I would say it is time to go. His trusted circle cannot be trusted.

All in all it simply shows we cannot deal with teams with pace we are just not good enough.
    It seems pretty apparent that SD viewed this as a free hit and tried as well as he could with what he had available.

He even tried a different tactical formation FFS all in hope that it would produce something different.

Unfortunately we all knew the result before the game kicked off.

Its all about "coming home to roost" and if you don't strengthen the squad with quality you just get bench sitters and part time players.

We will be in a much better position to judge intent during the Jan transfer window but history tells us not to expect anything other than a single signing of mediocre talent.

Ginger Mourinho - parking the bus, kick off with a 5 man back line wingers tucked in at CDMs, hendrick and cork also defensive mids, with one lone striker for the center backs to clear too... its not counter attacking football, it long ball hoof and hope.. thats what you do when your 1:0 with 10 mins to go, we just sat back and allowed wave after wave of attacking play for city, letting them gain conifdence and momentum, it was inevitable
    I was very disappointed with the pre match planning and also the in game tactics.
    Its not just the players that need to be on top form against city, very poor from Dyche.

Battered by Citeh, what's new?

Mistakes and Judgement

am as puzzled as the rest - it makes no sense - looking at Man City's recent performances.....why would Dyche decide to lean so completely toward defence, even the City supporters were dreading the Game....with the majority content with a draw - so why were we setup so - cos the only reason I can find , was to make them Look good....I said on the match thread - they looked rejuvenated, but thinking about it, of course they would - they were "given" the field , we dif get a consolation goal from a luck deflection, but then I remember a corner we had, and guess what, it went to the far post, only to be headed back out of play by a city player, but he and another (ciyt player) were the only ones there - they looked at each other as I felt - honestly....the more I see of this League, the more suspect it seems.

Possibly a cold night at the Turf? Man C, yes they are good ! But our game plan was used for a team of 13 year old schoolboys. With this team we going to make mistakes ,that will happen ,but we should have a decent plan A. I would not pick out this or that player,yes we have to 'tighten up' on some areas.For me again,we throw games away as we did last night. Some 90% of Popeye's goal kicks are ,hoof ball up field,aimed somewhere in the City's defence,and what big guns do we have there? Answer,one player (Wood) In simple terms 5 in our defence 4 just before them ,one lone ranger.So with this S D thinks -a positive outcome? After 65 mins City had 85% possession!!! In simple terms,we big boot it to them,(give it away !) and they come forward on attack!! What result can we expect of that?? If we have such a poor game plan,all heaven and earth will be hell!!
    I do not like the idea of SD leaving Sunday,coming back Thursday! A Player Manager has to be with the team watching ,showing players mistakes, giving advice etc. But that's his contract!
    Against some other teams ,S D will use 2 forwards , and again Big Boot up field ,making it a touch and go ,to how much we will win of those aerial 'lofted' up field balls.
    Game plan Mr S D? ''Yes, boot it up field some we will win with luck and get the ball in the net ,that should make us somewhere mid-table!''
    By the New year we could be touching the drop zone area!!

Quote Originally Posted by FromTheDarkness View Post
    Ginger Mourinho - parking the bus, kick off with a 5 man back line wingers tucked in at CDMs, hendrick and cork also defensive mids, with one lone striker for the center backs to clear too... its not counter attacking football, it long ball hoof and hope.. thats what you do when your 1:0 with 10 mins to go, we just sat back and allowed wave after wave of attacking play for city, letting them gain conifdence and momentum, it was inevitable
    I was very disappointed with the pre match planning and also the in game tactics.
    Its not just the players that need to be on top form against city, very poor from Dyche.
    Come on gentleman you can’t seriously believe we were going to have a proper go at team like city we’re you.
    I wander what reaction we’d have got if they stuck 7-8 past us in our gung ho style.

I’ve already alluded to this on another thread but we have absolutely zero pace in our squad ( Taylor maybe a bit), we have two ageing full backs and we’re missing the only midfield man who gets about people.( game over ).
    We played a team of absolute quality footballers and once you realise as a City players did that we couldn’t hurt them even the back 3 centre backs joined in probing continuous attacks..

Yes I think we could have offered a bit more than we did if we’d had a full contingent out but I’m not reading too much into a lesson from a superior side.

Back to my Palace quote at the weekend our fragile frailties are there for all to see when we have suspensions - injuries etc we don’t have the quality - depth required to compete at this level , add to that we are slow, lethargic and laboured in a league full off quick athletic technically gifted footballers.

The squad needs an overhaul and quick if we can manage to survive this season it will be a major triumph.

I can see a change coming to be honest , I think maybe Dyche tenure is coming to an end as I can’t see the board backing him enough to keep his interest.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)