Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
Thanks DB buddy. I’ve just had a look online ! There seems to be a demand for ‘carrying harnesses’ rather than arm/shoulder support when using them. I will do some more research.
Nowadays, we (me and “she who must be obeyed”) enjoy quick short views at the sky, often through the house (and caravan) windows.
My elder son, who now lives in Calgary, spent his post school days as a navigation officer with P&O. During his tuition at Warsash Navigation college, navigation by the stars was an element of his study. In addition to ‘star knowledge’ there was an additional requirement of maths and physics to successfully conduct such navigation. However, during his time in charge ‘on the bridge, he never had to use these skills...all navigation computerised...albeit they did maintain charts alongside.
Actually I think they were custom built by him as he was very keen on using binos for night time views....Colleague had also built a custom design, which he found very useful and comfortable.....
navigation by the stars was a true art form when you look back......amazing how the knowledge was uncovered back way back then...